Dental implants question with diabetes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

collectors

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, i have been making some enquires on a full mouth of dental implants due to a lot of not very good teeth. I have been told my Hba1c value needs to be below 4.5 for dental implants. I have never been this low & if lucky a 6 can be achieved. I think if i was this low, i wouldn't even need medication or be a diabetic. Anyone here had this sort of work done ???. Thanks

I had four implants a couple of years before I was diagnosed with t2. Diagnosed Jan’21.
I had the implants done in India in 2018. They are excellent. Never any problems. I’d like to say the same for my feet. Quite numb, suffer from cold and painful toes.

I suspect you misheard what was said, it was probably 45mmol/mol

I had 2 implants with a bridge when probably prediabetic, 10 years ago, I don't remember ever being questioned about diabetes. I had no trouble until a year ago when the assembly fell off the pegs and were just glued back on.
An HbA1C of 45mmol/mol is mid prediabetic, It depends on where you are now whether it achievable.
I suppose they are being safe as healing can be more difficult with high blood glucose. In preparation good mouth hygiene is important.

I had four implants a couple of years before I was diagnosed with t2. Diagnosed Jan’21.
I had the implants done in India in 2018. They are excellent. Never any problems. I’d like to say the same for my feet. Quite numb, suffer from cold and painful toes.
Would like to look at India but dont like long flights any more. Four & a half is my max nowadays.

I suspect you misheard what was said, it was probably 45mmol/mol
This was part of the email sent back to me: Maybe they got it wrong.
We offer All-on-6 Procedure for patients with no teeth or if all their teeth need to be extracted. The procedure has 2 stages: We place 6 dental implants on each jaw on the first visit. After the recovery, we fix full-arch dental bridges created with metal porcelain crowns on your dental implants.
Also, I would like to mention that your Hba1c value needs to be below 4.5 for dental implants.

My friend had her teeth veneered (I believe) in India about 5 years ago and it has just cost her a fortune here in the UK to have remedial work because she developed abscesses in those teeth because they were not done properly. They were her front teeth and it has taken the best part of a year to clear up the infection and get them fixed as well as over £3000, so I would be very wary of going abroad for treatment as you have no real come back if something goes wrong. And she isn't diabetic, which obviously adds another level of risk.
Good luck getting your BG levels into range, but maybe enquire for that HbA1c target in writing so you are clear about what you are aiming for.

I didn't see your post when I finished typing mine and posted, but there are no units of measure with that HbA1c so you have every right to query it and it looks unrealistically low if it is a %, so my guess is also that it would be 45mmols/mol rather than 4.5%. Either that or they are doing their best to avoid working on diabetics, perhaps for insurance purposes.

Also, I would like to mention that your Hba1c value needs to be below 4.5 for dental implants.
It could just be a hypo (typo) 🙂 So ask them and if it is 4.5% and this measurement is not used in medical notes these days it would really point to a typo.

My friend had her teeth veneered (I believe) in India about 5 years ago and it has just cost her a fortune here in the UK to have remedial work because she developed abscesses in those teeth because they were not done properly. They were her front teeth and it has taken the best part of a year to clear up the infection and get them fixed as well as over £3000, so I would be very wary of going abroad for treatment as you have no real come back if something goes wrong. And she isn't diabetic, which obviously adds another level of risk.
Good luck getting your BG levels into range, but maybe enquire for that HbA1c target in writing so you are clear about what you are aiming for.
I have actually heard more bad things about UK dentist & have experienced it my self & ended up in hospital because a dentist that i warned that basic antibiotics dont work with me. It turns out he prescribed basic antibiotics & i ended up with a serious infection & had 5 days of the worst pain with 3 days in hospital. Yet i have spoken to two locals that went to Turkey & are both over the moon with the work they had done. Full top & bottom replacements for just under 10k including 2 lots of flights & hotels half board. You can easily double that in the UK, & most is profit.

It must be a typo. 4.5% is on the low side and would be quite low for even someone without diabetes

IF it is 4.5% that would convert to 26mmol/mol which I don't think ANYBODY would achieve let alone somebody with diabetes. I think I would give them a wide berth if they can't even get their information correct.

IF it is 4.5% that would convert to 26mmol/mol which I don't think ANYBODY would achieve let alone somebody with diabetes. I think I would give them a wide berth if they can't even get their information correct.
I've had 26.8 on a few occasions but think that's pretty rare.

I've had 26.8 on a few occasions but think that's pretty rare.

Certainly is.
Way out of the normal non diabetic ranges.
It's around 5 on average in BG levels.
So, highs and lows could be non existent, or problematic, depending on your view?

Certainly is.
Way out of the normal non diabetic ranges.
It's around 5 on average in BG levels.
So, highs and lows could be non existent, or problematic, depending on your view?

I was talking about HbA1c in mmol/mol .

Keep up old fella...

For anyone who is getting confused. The units of HbA1c (old and new) and trying to evaluate an estimate of average glucose can be a bit befuddling.

26.8mmol/L (the new units for HbA1c) would previously have been expressed as 4.6%.

There's no direct way to convert that into an estimate of average capillary glucose values that you'd see on a fingerstick BG meter, but one conversion formula suggests it would be roughly equivalent to an average fingerstick glucose of 5.4mmol/L.

I was talking about HbA1c in mmol/mol .

Keep up old fella...

Oh dear Eddie.
You have a Hba1c that is low.
That suggests your BG is always low, (explanation above) or you have a blood disorder giving a false reading.

Oh dear Eddie.
You have a Hba1c that is low.
That suggests your BG is always low, (explanation above) or you have a blood disorder giving a false reading.
"Way out of the normal non diabetic ranges."

Always low? My FBG this morning was 6 mmol/l.

It suggests nothing of the sort.

@bulkbiker and @travellor..... Guys, this is a thread about dental implants.... can you take your bickering elsewhere please! You seem to take over and ruin so many threads on the forum these days and it is a real turn off to me and I know other established members are finding it similarly frustrating, so I am sure other newer forum members must find it unhelpful and demotivating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back