Dental charity blames bad baby teeth on 'child neglect'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Child neglect is to blame for "absolutely appalling" levels of children needing their teeth pulled in hospital, a charity says.

NHS figures show it is the most common reason for children in England being admitted to hospital.

Some needed all 20 of their baby teeth removed.

The British Dental Health Foundation said some parents were not paying enough attention to the importance of their child's teeth.

Three years ago 22,574 children aged five to nine were admitted for rotting teeth, but provisional figures for the year beginning April 2013 show they have climbed to 25,812.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-28292448

I said to someone recently about taking their toddler to the dentist with them for a ride in the magic chair and she was horrified. Grief - I don't mean when you are going for root canal treatment, it was looked forward to, having a ride in that chair, as a treat for being good while mummy had her check-up !

But if mummy can't afford to have a ride in the chair herself, so never goes - I spose your child wouldn't accept it as a normal part of what people do.

Dentists when I was a child were evil :( I'm extremely fortunate to have found an excellent dentist as an adult, who has put those traumas to rest 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back