Denied lantus in custody

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tmiller1058

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
After begging them to see the nurse in the police station I was finally seen she said my sugars were 29mmol which she thought was fine I told her I usually am between 4 - 8 and I’m going in to dka my mouth dried she said this was because i had alcohol and refused me insulin whilst angrily saying I’m not Dka and I was lying I stood in the custody cell shaking pressing to button repeatedly ask for medication to which I was told to get rest and that I’m annoying the officers this happened for an hour then I passed out from no insulin exhaustion the I work up being nudged by officers to which they said stop pretending and eventually rolled over and passed out I woke up to a new nurse was lovely and although sceptical agreed to check for ketones it was purple an I was rushed to hospital the broke my wrist I have severe swelling and I am writing this in hospital with my ketones 2.0 even after medication I was petrified crying all night abuse ignored and neglected my right to a solicitor and call 111 which I asked and pleaded for I am disgusted at the treatment I have suffered being left to die slowly in a cell on my own for something I wasn’t charged for this which if the same nurse was on duty I believe I would of gone into a shock or a sever reaction this needs reform my right to medication is not a joke and should not be impeached because they don’t believe me any advice would be grateful.

Attachments

• F15AAABB-AE8A-45D4-A233-93DA3B571DD2.jpeg
    F15AAABB-AE8A-45D4-A233-93DA3B571DD2.jpeg
    39.9 KB · Views: 23
  • BB7F06BF-9D55-446E-8207-EF2C97B38CF2.jpeg
    BB7F06BF-9D55-446E-8207-EF2C97B38CF2.jpeg
    34.2 KB · Views: 22
  • A0D25ABB-5E10-42C7-8FF7-F913B5044DD5.jpeg
    A0D25ABB-5E10-42C7-8FF7-F913B5044DD5.jpeg
    48.5 KB · Views: 20
  • BEE18A51-CC4A-4B9D-8871-EAD3B9AADC06.jpeg
    BEE18A51-CC4A-4B9D-8871-EAD3B9AADC06.jpeg
    28.8 KB · Views: 22
Sorry to hear your traumatic account @Tmiller1058

It is a very distressing read.

Perhaps you could call the Diabetes UK Helpline on 0345 123 2399 (Mon-Fri 9-6) to ask their advice.

Are you considering making an official complaint?

Definitely it was terrifying being at the mercy of some doing you so much harm I will try that thank you for the advice

What a horrible experience for you. Do talk to the helpline and take some legal advice about how best to go about a complaint.

I am sorry you had this experience. It is terrifying and really hope you get support for this trauma and your voice is heard.

How absolutely awful for you, what an horrendous experience. I hope you get support too and there are consequences/changes to those staff who totally mismanaged your individual situation, at great risk to you.

Thank-you all for your kind words I'm back home and stable now and planning on pursuing this as much as I can.

I'm glad you are back home. What a relief! Good luck in pursuing the issues

I think you ought to get legal advice before contacting them. And when you do, go via the IOPC.

And drag your elected MP and Police and Crime Commissioner in for good measure. There ought to be training on this. Why did it take them that long to do a 10p ketone test.

Appalling, and just because you are young. As a young man in his 20's my brother was constantly stopped when driving. Not the same, but it shows that prejudice has not changed in 50 years. For your future protection you might like to consider getting one of the medical alert aids. I understand there are dog tags you can wear on a chain, as well as bracelets.

Hi

Definitely make a complaint. If you are brave enough I would also write to your MP and the Secretary of State for Justice/minister of Prisons ( yes there is such person) I would also write ti the local press naming and shaming the police station, perhaps also write to the chief contactable for your region. You could also write to Public health England as they have overall responsibility for those in police custody/in prisons.

This is outrageous and should be made public, In your letter to any police personal quote the following link

https://www.mountainhealthcare.co.uk/police-custodial-healthcare-services.html

Good luck and I am fully behind you

. (FYII am working with Diabetes UK and the prison service to improve care within the system )

Appalling, and just because you are young.
To be fair, I doubt the police took someone into custody just for being young on a Saturday night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back