Deletion of account

Status
Not open for further replies.

HalfpipMarathon

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I apologise for starting so many threads on the same topic. I was genuinely not aware I had posted so many but why would I be counting? Wasn't aware there was a limit however that's the endof them.

I have a telephone appointment with my Dr in April and I will discuss my feelings and reservations with her.

I would delete my account but I am not sure how to do this.

You don’t need to apologise @HalfpipMarathon I think most people were just concerned that the sensors were causing you stress. It would be sad if you deleted your account. That’s honestly not necessary 🙂
Thank you. It's not the sensors per se more how I can change how I react to the information. Like I said I will be discussing with my Dr how I feel and my reservations.

Thank you. It's not the sensors per se more how I can change how I react to the information. Like I said I will be discussing with my Dr how I feel and my reservations.

Yes, it’s hard not to get too affected by ‘bad’ results. I try to look at them objectively rather than upset myself. Instead I think what I would say if someone else got a similar result. My main tip is to move on mentally and not dwell on ‘off’ results.

Yes, it’s hard not to get too affected by ‘bad’ results. I try to look at them objectively rather than upset myself. Instead I think what I would say if someone else got a similar result. My main tip is to move on mentally and not dwell on ‘off’ results.
I think how you react to results is completely different when on insulin compared to diet control though. There’s really not that much you can do to react to the trends without insulin, for someone like the OP who has already changed their diet.

I think how you react to results is completely different when on insulin compared to diet control though. There’s really not that much you can do to react to the trends without insulin, for someone like the OP who has already changed their diet.

Yes, I’m not sure what I’d do if I was diet-treated. I think I’d probably test a lot early on and maybe get a Libre to look at overnight, for example, but I’d mainly fingerprick, I think, and stick to meals I knew worked. So maybe a mix of finger-pricking and a very occasional Libre?

I'd say for T2s not on insulin there's not a lot you can do immediately if you see it going up (It's perfectly natural for it to go up, just taking a long time to come down is the problem!) apart from maybe doing some exercise (This burns up glucose without requiring insulin and also helps with sensitivity) or using the information to see how your diet affects you and make changes.

It was also interesting seeing how it acts overnight and during fasting...

Take care with exercise when very high. If your body is not getting the energy it requires from the glucose (high blood sugar), it can put a strain on it and cause your levels to rise further.
I was advised not to exercise with levels in double figures. Although it does depend on the intensity of activity.

Take care with exercise when very high. If your body is not getting the energy it requires from the glucose (high blood sugar), it can put a strain on it and cause your levels to rise further.
I was advised not to exercise with levels in double figures. Although it does depend on the intensity of activity.

Yep, during exercise the liver starts making glucose (Via both mechanisms) to meet the demands of the muscles (They apparently say 'feed me!' via neural pathways.) Although the uptake to muscles isn't via insulin, the muscles start using a different mechanism. Intense exercise can create too more than is required, though, so you're right... especially if there are problems with the normal signalling that cuts off the supply which is the case for many T2s.

Yep, during exercise the liver starts making glucose (Via both mechanisms) to meet the demands of the muscles (They apparently say 'feed me!' via neural pathways.) Although the uptake to muscles isn't via insulin, the muscles start using a different mechanism. Intense exercise can create too more than is required, though, so you're right... especially if there are problems with the normal signalling that cuts off the supply which is the case for many T2s.
I run or run/walk and go to the gym on the recumbent bike, elliptical machine and rower and occasionally the Treadmill. Nothing intense

@HalfpipMarathon - if you really want to delete your account then you need to tag @everydayupsanddowns and he will sort it but please, please do not even think of it.

One of the reasons for not offering blood glucose measurement to all is that for some, using it, might cause anxiety. The way I think about it is that if it causes anxiety, then it's because nobody has taken the time to explain how it works and what is the best way to use the information. That's where we can help - and if you do not keep asking your questions you will not get any further forward. We don't mind the questions.

If you get to the basics, you have to separate T1 from T2 when you come to using blood glucose measurement whether you do it by finger pricking or with some fancy continuous monitor. Insulin users use the information to make short term decisions, basically how much insulin is needed at any particular time. Decisions are made and the effect is seen within an hour and further changes and corrections can be made straight away if needed.

That simply does not apply to T2's who do not use insulin. For those, the timescales are quite different. You decide to change something and then over a longer time period use monitoring to see whether the change has been for the good or not. If it has, then keep it, if it has not then try something else. You are looking for what happens over the next few weeks or even months, not what happens in the next hour or two.

I'm going to say something that I know some will disagree with and that is that CGM can overcomplicate things when thinking about T2 management. When looking for trends over the medium and long term, you do not need something that gives instantaneous readings. It's made worse when the whole thing is a bit of a faff and the tech is a little "flaky". The benefits for the insulin user offset the problems but I do not think that is the case for the non insulin user. Yes, you can envisage situations where it could be of value, for example, when trying to sort out what is going on in atypical presentations but other than that I am not sure. I'm a bit of a measurement and data nerd and would not consider using CGM. I can get perfectly adequate data from finger pricking and good record keeping as a means of keeping on top of things and with CGM I would spend too much time trying to work out how good the numbers were rather than using the information to do something.

I would no doubt think differently if reliable non-invasive wearable CGM became available. Despite the hype, I don't think that will happen for some time soon.

No need to apologise for creating threads @HalfpipMarathon 🙂

The mods can always combine any where the subject seem to overlap - but where you have questions about different aspects of a topic separate threads can be clearer 🙂

No need to apologise for creating threads @HalfpipMarathon 🙂

The mods can always combine any where the subject seem to overlap - but where you have questions about different aspects of a topic separate threads can be clearer 🙂
Thank you. I don't and didn't keep track of my posts so genuinely wasn't aware that I was repeating myself especially as I don't post every week.

It really doesn't matter if you have repeatedly asked the same question.
People come to these forums looking for answers, your questions and the answers people provide, could be just the very thing that helps them turn their lives around.
So any question, no matter how often repeated can be immensely helpful to someone

It really doesn't matter if you have repeatedly asked the same question.
People come to these forums looking for answers, your questions and the answers people provide, could be just the very thing that helps them turn their lives around.
So any question, no matter how often repeated can be immensely helpful to someone
Thank you however from some of the responses I got the impression it was a frustrating. I'm aware from responses to my post about deletion of my account that people were concerned about me and I am grateful for that concern.

My original post was just a simple question: concentrate on the reading at time of scan or TIR - I just wanted an opinion on either option. Obviously from my apparently repetitive posts people were concerned but I am fine.

Thank you. I don't and didn't keep track of my posts so genuinely wasn't aware that I was repeating myself especially as I don't post every week.
Asking questions is helpful to others as well as to you, so don’t worry about repeating questions.
Our understanding changes as we become more used to our condition, and I have found that the same answer given previously will helo In a different way another time.

Keep asking your questions.

Everyone who contributes to the forum is a valued member of this merry band.
Everyone who visits and reads without commenting is a valued member too.
Please stay. And don’t worry about what other people think, you’re here for you.

Everyone who contributes to the forum is a valued member of this merry band.
Everyone who visits and reads without commenting is a valued member too.
Please stay. And don’t worry about what other people think, you’re here for you.
Totally agree! It's important to stick around @HalfpipMarathon - I learn something new here every day.
eg I wouldn't have had such a smooth transition from injections to pump if I hadn't been nosey-parkering around the forum for years. 😛
And it's so important to be with people that understand, eg when you're having a frustrating day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back