Deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you press the report button on the intimidating posts the moderators will deal with any inappropriate behaviour

I am sorry if my post on your other thread upset you. It was not intended to do so but just to clarify what you were looking for. All protein drinks will contain some carbs, so when you said you were on a "zero carb" diet, that warranted clarification. Perhaps I was a little clumsy in how I worded my response, but it was absolutely not intended to belittle or intimidate you and I apologize if that is how you felt after reading my post.

I am sorry if my post on your other thread upset you. It was not intended to do so but just to clarify what you were looking for. All protein drinks will contain some carbs, so when you said you were on a "zero carb" diet, that warranted clarification. Perhaps I was a little clumsy in how I worded my response, but it was absolutely not intended to belittle or intimidate you and I apologize if that is how you felt after reading my post.
On my type II courses it was communicated that all meal replacement / protein drinks the carbs convert more quickly into glucose in the blood stream, so I do limit liquid meal replacements / smoothies.

It seemed harsh/rude as you said even lettuce has carbs. And am I weight lifting. Please try to realise that not everyone is exact when trying to explain one self. Especially when trying so hard to find what way is the best way. So I could at times seem awkward in my questions. Something that I was assured would be understood on here. After all how else or where else can I go for help. You did upset me. I wasn’t going to come on again. But for my health.
On my type II courses it was communicated that all meal replacement / protein drinks the carbs convert more quickly into glucose in the blood stream, so I do limit liquid meal replacements / smoothies.

Thank you. With all the positive replies I have realised liquid diet for lunch isn’t the way to go. I am not a Weight lifter as asked but I do have muscle weakness and advice given to eat more protein. But only eat x1 slice of toast for lunch and dark green salad for dinner same thing every day for last month. I am not a big eater and since all my toes have now become completely numb. I fear food. Hence joining this site for help.

Thank you. With all the positive replies I have realised liquid diet for lunch isn’t the way to go. I am not a Weight lifter as asked but I do have muscle weakness and advice given to eat more protein. But only eat x1 slice of toast for lunch and dark green salad for dinner same thing every day for last month. I am not a big eater and since all my toes have now become completely numb. I fear food. Hence joining this site for help.
I would suggest that you get a home blood glucose monitor so you can determine which foods that you can have and like will not increase your blood glucose more than you want whilst still giving you the nutrition you need. There is no need to have no carbohydrate but choose them wisely. You need protein and healthy fats and they do not convert to glucose.
You may find some of the meals in this link suitable for dietary choice. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
I am right in thinking you are vegan but that is not to say there will not be suitable foods that will also be OK for your blood glucose management.

Reactions: Ada
I would suggest that you get a home blood glucose monitor so you can determine which foods that you can have and like will not increase your blood glucose more than you want whilst still giving you the nutrition you need. There is no need to have no carbohydrate but choose them wisely. You need protein and healthy fats and they do not convert to glucose.
You may find some of the meals in this link suitable for dietary choice. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
I am right in thinking you are vegan but that is not to say there will not be suitable foods that will also be OK for your blood glucose management.
Thank you. I do have one. But have stayed away from it for the last week. As I found I was stopping more and more good foods just because of a slight increase. But also higher just through walking before food. For a old gal I can be hard work lol
I have another thread re this.
Thank you. God Bless

Thank you. I do have one. But have stayed away from it for the last week. As I found I was stopping more and more good foods just because of a slight increase. But also higher just through walking before food. For a old gal I can be hard work lol
I have another thread re this.
Thank you. God Bless
The criteria is that you test before you eat and after 2 hours and if the increase is less than 2-3mmol/l then that meal is tolerated OK. You will expect an increase after food and if walking before you eat then the liver can release glucose to give you the energy for your walk.
Initially it is better to look for trends rather than absolute values as even in non -diabetic people, blood glucose varies throughout the day depending on lots of factors.

Those levels are way too extreme for me.

Diabetes UK guidance is

"If you have type 2 diabetes
before meals: 4 to 7mmol/l
two hours after meals: less than 8.5mmol/l"

So a potential rise of 4.5 is more than fine.

(Although possibly in context Leadinglights means if you start at 7, cutting some slack and a rise of up to 10.5 would be ok, but that's a personal choice.
Nothing is perfect, I certainly would have been fine with that as well, a lot of nondiabetic people see that sort of rise, but not on a regular basis at each meal)

Those levels are way too extreme for me.

Diabetes UK guidance is

"If you have type 2 diabetes
before meals: 4 to 7mmol/l
two hours after meals: less than 8.5mmol/l"

So a potential rise of 4.5 is more than fine.

(Although possibly in context Leadinglights means if you start at 7, cutting some slack and a rise of up to 10.5 would be ok, but that's a personal choice.
Nothing is perfect, I certainly would have been fine with that as well, a lot of nondiabetic people see that sort of rise, but not on a regular basis at each meal)
What has been pointed out by @everydayupsanddowns is that at an early stage following diagnosis then looking for the post meal increase is useful when premeal starting levels may be too high to achieve the 8.5mmol/l 2 hours after meals. But once management is better then that is a good criterion.

What has been pointed out by @everydayupsanddowns is that at an early stage following diagnosis then looking for the post meal increase is useful when premeal starting levels may be too high to achieve the 8.5mmol/l 2 hours after meals. But once management is better then that is a good criterion.

Yes,
it's a shame that is often missed off when the levels are repeated.
As you say, it's a marathon, not a sprint.

The process I used was to reduce the numbers after eating from what I started out at - not to get a particular number or range but to find meals which I could cope with - I took two tests at each meal and tweaked my menu so that I learned how to control the actual increase I experienced.
Over time I did not need to do a test before starting to eat, as I was not going over 9, which then became not over 8 mmol/l as I settled into my new menu. I then saw my numbers gradually reduce down without needing to change meals, and I assume that with the strain of the high numbers removed, my metabolism was correcting itself.
As you are eating a vegan diet I did not reply earlier, but I suspect that you have been told that you need to see particular numbers right from the start and not that it will take time to adjust.
Personally, though, I do not eat grains as they are too high in carbs, and they are not very nutritious. I don't eat a lot of carbs as I am so sensitive to them, and I eat every 12 hours, but my carbs come from stir fries, salads and casserole veges, and also from berries but I do not eat them every day. I use herbs and spices to add a little zing to dishes.
One of my dishes which many people like is cauliflower cheese, as it is so simple - I make it from cauliflower, cream cheese and hard cheese, and when I have coated the cauliflower in cream cheese I sprinkle on something from my box of tricks - my overflowing collection of spices and herbs to make subtle changes in the flavour and aroma, then I cover with grated hard cheese. I am sure there must be acceptable substitutes suitable for such a dish, which is then heated to melt the ingredients into the already almost cooked cauliflower. Of course the low carb way of eating will only work well for ordinary type twos - some people are not ordinary, and some get poor advice about the way to discover what they can eat and what is going to be problematic.
Personally I responded rapidly and returned to normal very quickly - but I just went back to eating what I already new suited me, 50 gm of carbs a day Atkins style eating but the method I used to assure myself that I was succeeding seems to work well for many.

I tried the link but it wouldn’t allow me??

It seemed harsh/rude as you said even lettuce has carbs. And am I weight lifting. Please try to realise that not everyone is exact when trying to explain one self. Especially when trying so hard to find what way is the best way. So I could at times seem awkward in my questions. Something that I was assured would be understood on here. After all how else or where else can I go for help. You did upset me. I wasn’t going to come on again. But for my health.

Sorry to hear you were upset by a response you read on the forum @Ada

Hope you have been reassured that it was simply a misunderstanding, and not intended to cause you upset. Forum posts can sometimes struggle with the differences between spoken conversation and conversational-style written text, but without the visual cues, body language, facial expression, and tone of voice etc etc.

We pride ourselves on a friendly atmosphere, and hope that any differences of opinion can be settled amicably and respectfully

Do feel free to use the ’report’ button on any post that makes you uncomfortable, or which you find upsetting (whether it involves you or another member). Then the moderators will get alerted and be able to review the posts involved.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back