Delayed spike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charl

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Was out for the day yesterday and for tea had a fairly large portion of fish and chips for a change, used nutracheck which was 180 carbs, my carb ratio is 1 per 10, took 9 units just before , another 5 after then 4 half hour later. This all started around 6 pm , reading was 5.1 before the meal and stayed between that and 7.4 when I went to bed at 10pm, checked my libre live this morning and found my readings started climbing around 2am to 4am up to 16, what did I do wrong apart from a fish shop tea.Cheers

fatty high carb meals can digest slowly. Sounds like you needed more insulin later on.

So the other way round, take the 9 units last or is it trial and error

Exactly that @Charl ! Trial and error, with dedicated repeated fingerprick BG testing rather than relying on a Libre where the changes are reflected far too slowly anyway.

Depends how much you wish to repeat eating that meal, really. If it's a frequent favourite then you'll just have to buckle down to that. If it's only occasional - well it most likely won't kill you any time soon. Have to be honest - I never worry about the occasional things, cos life really is too short. So - up to you!

(try Googling 'pizza effect')

Was out for the day yesterday and for tea had a fairly large portion of fish and chips for a change, used nutracheck which was 180 carbs, my carb ratio is 1 per 10, took 9 units just before , another 5 after then 4 half hour later. This all started around 6 pm , reading was 5.1 before the meal and stayed between that and 7.4 when I went to bed at 10pm, checked my libre live this morning and found my readings started climbing around 2am to 4am up to 16, what did I do wrong apart from a fish shop tea.Cheers
Hi Carl
Fish and Chips is not an easy one to manage because of the high fatty. As @trophywench says if you want this to be a regular meal it will be a case of trial and improvement to find what works for you. You might find it easier if this was a lunch rather than an evening experiment, as you can then deal with any late ruses or other oddities. I find Pizza is similarly difficult. I still have them now and then, do the best that I can and accept that my TIR is going to be a lot lower on those days.

I love fish and chips! I’m on a pump so I can do an extended bolus over a few hours, but on injections I just split the bolus, taking the second bit around 2hrs after the start of my meal. I then corrected if necessary at 4 or 5 hours.

Did your Libre not alert you to the High during the night? What was your blood sugar when you got up - ie had it come down a bit?

Because 180g carbs is quite a lot at one go, you may find that you need extra insulin for a meal that large. It looks like you got the split about right if you stayed below 8 until bedtime, so maybe try 10 units up front and then another 10 an hour or two after the meal, the next time you experiment with that meal.

Fatty meals and larger usual meals can be a bit of a double-whammy for me.

I’d certainly need more than half an hour delay for the second dose.

On MDI if memory serves I think I used to do 60% up front and the rest about 2 hours later.

It’s a bit scary, because it can mean going to bed with quite a lot of insulin active - so while experimenting I found it prudent to set an overnight alarm (2am or 3am) just to make sure I was keeping safe.

Plus, larger meals seem to need extra insulin for me, almost like they need a different ratio. I think John Walsh (Pumping Insulin) suggests that the tipping point for the ratio change might be approx your weight in kilos as grams of carbs.

But on the plus side… this just means you’ll need lots more chippy teas to practice :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back