Dehydration....does it affect diabetes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIsmail

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Always felt it does....

My hyper/hypo signs are less apparent and my control is generally worse.

What do people think?

Someone may have a more scientific explanation, but I think that, if we are dehydrated, then the body is not performing efficiently and this can cause all sorts of other mechanisms to kick in to try and rectify the problem, whether that is by making us thirsty, or retaining what liquid we can, or certain regulatory hormones being secreted etc. All this can have an effect on control because the system is 'out of whack'. I wouldn't be surprised if, in extreme cases, blood volume also plays a part in messing with our levels.

Hypo signs are usually caused by the stress hormones, so maybe these are not as efficient in a dehydrated body?

p.s. how did the run/row go? 🙂

It was good. Trained a bit b4 the run so wasn't too bad, sugars were in control as well 🙂

Felt sorry for the guys on the boat. They had to row a total of 28 miles (from their school to westminster, then to the finish point and then finally back to their school to hand back the boat).

Hopefully will get the flyers this week which ITV helped us make. I think in a few months we'll reach the target.

Thanks for all your support!

Sorry couldn't make it to the meet up. Mayb I'll pop round next time to meet all you wonderful people.

Not an expert here, but I think dehydration has an effec on all of our body functions. If our mouths feel dry it is said to be the first sign of deyhdration and the best cure is to have a drink of water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back