Dehydration and high BG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robster65

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I had an unexpected high BG this afternoon (17.x) and felt lethargic and thirsty. Not unusual when high. Gave myself 3u humalog.

Later on, had a couple of pints of squash and felt better. Before tea test was 6.x.

Wondered about the causal link between dehydration and hyperglycaemia.

Found this http://www.diabetesmonitor.com/hi-bg-tx.htm

It makes sense that any type of stress will raise BG but scary how easily dehydration can send it up. I am a b*gger for not drinking enough during the day, especially when out and about.

Yet another random variable to factor in ! 🙄

Sorry to hear about your hyper Rob glad the levels are no lower, when i used to have hypers daily i always became v.dehydrated and drank water like it was going out of fashion.I'm the total opposite to you I drink water alot during the day even carrying a small bottle of volvic in my pocket.

I am going to try and drink a lot more. I've always known that high BG causes dehydration but didn't realise the other way round.

Wonder if it's well known or something they forget to tell patients.

Rob

That happens to me i think, when i get dihydrated by BS shoots up, but i thought it was a type 2 thing. My (totally unfounded and unproven) theory is that the more dihydrated you are the less volume of blood you've got and because you're diabetic, the volume of sugar doesn't go down.Therefore the ammount of sugar per ml (or whatever) is much higher.

I am going to try and drink a lot more. I've always known that high BG causes dehydration but didn't realise the other way round.

Wonder if it's well known or something they forget to tell patients.

Rob

It's news to me, too - but very good to know! Thanks for sharing!

> RachelT - I think that's the case. Less fluid = higher concentration

I'll experiment next time I think it's happening and test after a couple of pints of water. It's apparently meant to be as quick at dropping as climbing.

BPD > You'd have thought they'd warn about it wouldn't you ? It's one of the easiest things to fall into but could have devastating effects if left untreated.

Rob

sometimes i get the feeling of being hungrey when in fact im thirsty ...

I do feel hungry before bedtime which makes me wonder if it is thirst. Thanks for that idea. I'll try it out. Might end up wetting the bed, but better than being dehydrated ! :D

Rob

I get hungry when dehydrated, and working in an air conditioned building doesn't help. If I get a head ache I get a drink before I take any headache pills.

I think as diabeteics we deyhdrate more quickly when we are high as our bodies are trying to get rid of the extra sugar, and because we have less fluid in our blood it makes it appear we are higher than we really are, but this is pure conjecture, I don't know for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back