Defending state shot put champ says sports, caring coach led her out of darkness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The anger was inexplicable and overwhelming.

Even years later, Amarissa Hawker can’t really point to a reason for the rage she battled during what the Herriman senior refers to as her “dark period.”

“I can’t even describe the anger I was feeling,” she said. “I was angry at everyone, at everything. I was really angry at myself.”

It was so toxic it permeated every aspect of her life, even persuading the honor student to hurt herself to find relief. Creating small but painful cuts on her arms brought momentary calm to the storm she was desperate to navigate. But the anger and frustration always seemed to return until sports offered her a different kind of release.

It began with basketball, but then, as a sophomore, she decided to join Herriman’s swim team.

That decision didn’t just help Amarissa see that she had the ability to save herself from the darkness, it changed the course of her life.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...rts-caring-coach-led-her-out-of-darkness.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back