Death Rate Dropping for People With Diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
New research shows that people with diabetes are living longer, and this is likely due to heart-healthy habits and tighter control of blood sugar levels.

Many people may only associate diabetes with vision loss, kidney disease, and limb amputations, but it also increases the risk for heart disease and stroke. From 1996 to 2006, however, the risk of dying from heart disease and stroke decreased by 40% among people with diabetes.

People with diabetes do die earlier than people without diabetes, but this gap appears to be getting smaller.

"This is good news," says researcher Edward W. Gregg, PhD. He is the acting director of the division for heart disease and stroke prevention at the CDC in Atlanta. "We are seeing a reduction in death rates in people with diabetes, and this is largely due to prevention efforts."

http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20120522/death-rate-dropping-for-people-with-diabetes

The title's a bit misleading...I think you'll find the mortality rate for people with diabetes has persisted in remaining at around 100%, although on the plus side, it's broadly the same for people without diabetes too 😛:D

The title's a bit misleading...I think you'll find the mortality rate for people with diabetes has persisted in remaining at around 100%, although on the plus side, it's broadly the same for people without diabetes too 😛:D

Lol, I was thinking the same thing as well :D

Isn't it just its swings and roundabouts, it implies death from causes other than heart disease and stroke have risen by 40%? 😉

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back