Dealing with adrenaline rush and consequent high glucose when acting and performing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veayjay

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi. I‘m about to appear in a lead role in my local am-dram production and have spent the last 2 evenings in dress rehearsals. I‘m also taking the opportunity to try out the Freestyle Libre2, using their 14 day free sensor offer. Wow. It’s enabled me to see how high my blood sugars go from just before I get on stage, during the performance and for a while after. This, I know, is the result of the stress I am feeling, the consequent release of adrenaline and its action to release glycogen from the liver. So far I’ve been correcting things using my usual bolus insulin formula - but it does take time to settle down as the adrenaline effect sustains for a while. I’ve looked online and seen suggestions that increasing basal insulin on days when you know you are going to be stressed, can also help. Has anyone else experienced this and how do you manage it? I will, of course, discuss with my G.P. and consultant but in the meantime I’m interested to know how others may deal with this.

Wow! That sounds exciting. Congratulations on getting the lead role.

The closest I have had to the experience you are describing is when climbing when I get an adrenaline rush due to the fear (but in a fun way) which causes my blood sugars to rise. I now have an insulin pump which enables me to increase my basal for the targeted time. Prior to pumping, I would bolus just before I started with enough bolus that, under normal circumstances would lead to a level of 3mmol/l but, due to the adrenaline will go nowhere near this level and, instead keep my levels reasonably stable.
The first few times I did this, I kept my hypo treatment close but never needed it.

I hope that makes sense.
And good luck for your opening night. "Break a Leg!"

Thanks. Very useful. Like you, it’s terrifying when you’re about to go on stage in front of any audience but it’s fun too! I may try a small shot of bolus this evening beforehand, but I’ll be conservative as the last thing I need is to go hypo in the middle of the performance. I’m on stage practically all of the time so no chance to check until the interval. The huge irony is that the play features a character (not mine), who has type 1 and but it doesn’t get revealed until he has a full blown hypo in a scene towards the end. My character witnesses this, helps him and realises he’s diabetic. I’ve really enjoyed helping the actor in this role with his portrayal of a hypo. I’m convinced the writer either has type 1 or is close to someone who is, as it’s a very well written depiction of a hypo.

I wouldn't know - because I've never seen anyone have one!

I spent all my childhood until leaving home watching the effect of hypos on my mum, who was T1. It was on her kit that I diagnosed myself!

Hi. I‘m about to appear in a lead role in my local am-dram production and have spent the last 2 evenings in dress rehearsals. I‘m also taking the opportunity to try out the Freestyle Libre2, using their 14 day free sensor offer. Wow. It’s enabled me to see how high my blood sugars go from just before I get on stage, during the performance and for a while after. This, I know, is the result of the stress I am feeling, the consequent release of adrenaline and its action to release glycogen from the liver. So far I’ve been correcting things using my usual bolus insulin formula - but it does take time to settle down as the adrenaline effect sustains for a while. I’ve looked online and seen suggestions that increasing basal insulin on days when you know you are going to be stressed, can also help. Has anyone else experienced this and how do you manage it? I will, of course, discuss with my G.P. and consultant but in the meantime I’m interested to know how others may deal with this.
Congratulations on the role. The play sounds fascinating.
I would be very interested to hear how you get on with the blood glucose management as I'm back on stage next month for the first time since 2018 (and since diagnosis). I've been thinking about what might be needed - that adrenaline rush when you're standing in the wings is quite something, isn't it!
Planning to experiment at the dress rehearsals and see what happens. I'm thinking the Libre might show some interesting patterns. Not sure yet if there will be enough adrenaline through the whole day to increase the basal insulin.
I look forward to hearing how you get on both onstage and with the glucose management.
Hope it's a great show!

I must be very odd as I don't get stage fright anymore. Can't explain it. In the 70s and 80s I used to contribute handsomely to Andrex's profits before every gig. Pre D days as well.

All the best.

I saw a talk by James Norton at a T1 event, who talked about having hypo treatments stashed at various points across the set in a theatre production, and would occasionally have to ‘stare thoughtfully’ out of the fake patio window while swiftly munching away! 😛

I don’t find my stress response to performing etc reliable or consistent enough to take preventative action, so I rely more on my pump’s hybrid closed loop, and keeping an eye on sensor traces when I get the chance 🙂

Congratulations on the role. The play sounds fascinating.
I would be very interested to hear how you get on with the blood glucose management as I'm back on stage next month for the first time since 2018 (and since diagnosis). I've been thinking about what might be needed - that adrenaline rush when you're standing in the wings is quite something, isn't it!
Planning to experiment at the dress rehearsals and see what happens. I'm thinking the Libre might show some interesting patterns. Not sure yet if there will be enough adrenaline through the whole day to increase the basal insulin.
I look forward to hearing how you get on both onstage and with the glucose management.
Hope it's a great show!
Thanks. Well, performance wise, it all seemed to go down well. Blood glucose wise - I'd have a light snack and inject mid afternoon. My glucose levels started to shoot up from 7.00pm onwards (we started at 8.00pm). I began by injecting a couple of extra units of Humalog about 30 minutes before going on stage. That wasn't enough. On the 2nd and 3rd nights I took 3 units at 7.30 and then another 3 units at the interval, just about 65 minutes later. I was still elevated at the end. Normally I'd be comatose with all that, and no food. The effect of the adrenaline persists for a short while and then starts to come down. It's clearly going to take time to work out and it depends upon me convincing the consultant and my GP that I should be prescribed the FreeStyle Libre2. I've just got the free trial pack at the moment. The play is "A Fine Bright Day Today" by Philip Goulding. Although there's a bit of dramatic license, the 'hypo scene' is so well written and described in the stage directions that I was convinced that Philip Goulding either has type 1 or knows someone very well who is type 1. I was so intrigued that I ended up emailing him and asking. The lovely man responded very promptly to say that it's an in-law relation who is type 1. Philip asked him to write down everything he thought he ought to know and having written the scene, he then asked him to check it to see whether it sounded right. So credit to him. I do get irritated when authors don't do their research into diabetes and go for the lazy cliches.

I must be very odd as I don't get stage fright anymore. Can't explain it. In the 70s and 80s I used to contribute handsomely to Andrex's profits before every gig. Pre D days as well.

All the best.
It was my first main part for a good many years, so there was stage fright aplenty! Seem to have survived it Ok. Thanks for your good wishes.

I saw a talk by James Norton at a T1 event, who talked about having hypo treatments stashed at various points across the set in a theatre production, and would occasionally have to ‘stare thoughtfully’ out of the fake patio window while swiftly munching away! 😛

I don’t find my stress response to performing etc reliable or consistent enough to take preventative action, so I rely more on my pump’s hybrid closed loop, and keeping an eye on sensor traces when I get the chance 🙂
Didn't know Norton was Type 1. Interesting...

Thanks. Well, performance wise, it all seemed to go down well. Blood glucose wise - I'd have a light snack and inject mid afternoon. My glucose levels started to shoot up from 7.00pm onwards (we started at 8.00pm). I began by injecting a couple of extra units of Humalog about 30 minutes before going on stage. That wasn't enough. On the 2nd and 3rd nights I took 3 units at 7.30 and then another 3 units at the interval, just about 65 minutes later. I was still elevated at the end. Normally I'd be comatose with all that, and no food. The effect of the adrenaline persists for a short while and then starts to come down. It's clearly going to take time to work out and it depends upon me convincing the consultant and my GP that I should be prescribed the FreeStyle Libre2. I've just got the free trial pack at the moment. The play is "A Fine Bright Day Today" by Philip Goulding. Although there's a bit of dramatic license, the 'hypo scene' is so well written and described in the stage directions that I was convinced that Philip Goulding either has type 1 or knows someone very well who is type 1. I was so intrigued that I ended up emailing him and asking. The lovely man responded very promptly to say that it's an in-law relation who is type 1. Philip asked him to write down everything he thought he ought to know and having written the scene, he then asked him to check it to see whether it sounded right. So credit to him. I do get irritated when authors don't do their research into diabetes and go for the lazy cliches.
So glad it went well and thanks for letting me know about how you managed things. It'll be interesting to see if I see a similar effect or something completely different!
Great to hear how well the hypo scene was researched and good luck with getting Libre prescribed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back