Deaf people with type 1 diabetes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snazzy dazzy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Is there anyone out there that is profoundly deaf, BSL user have type 1 diabetes? how do you cope with alarms of hypos highs and lows?

Hi. I am not deaf and I only have Libre 1 so no high or low BG alarms but I do set the alarm to wake me up for my Levemir dose on a morning. I find the vibration works quite well to alert me particularly if I have it in a PJ breast pocket. If the idea of wearing PJs during the summer is off putting, I am sure it would be possible to sew a little pocket onto a thin vest or similar to keep it close to your body so that you can feel the vibration..... or some people use special pouches for their insulin pump that strap them to their waist or thigh so I suppose one of those would hold a Libre.

Hi. I am not deaf and I only have Libre 1 so no high or low BG alarms but I do set the alarm to wake me up for my Levemir dose on a morning. I find the vibration works quite well to alert me particularly if I have it in a PJ breast pocket. If the idea of wearing PJs during the summer is off putting, I am sure it would be possible to sew a little pocket onto a thin vest or similar to keep it close to your body so that you can feel the vibration..... or some people use special pouches for their insulin pump that strap them to their waist or thigh so I suppose one of those would hold a Libre.
hello, I don't have libre 1. I am on libre 2 that why I ask. Good idea about the libre 1 can put in pj breast pocket . is it a very strong vibration??

Libre 2 should have a vibration mode. Libre 1 would be no good to you if you need high and low warning because it doesn't have them at all, just a timer alarm to remind me to wake up and inject my Levemir. I have good hypo/hyper awareness so don't have need of those alarms and I use the reader with my Libre 1 rather than a phone which would need a much bigger pocket to accommodate it and probably be much less comfortable.

how do you cope with alarms of hypos highs and lows?
I'm not deaf, but I do use the Freestyle Libre Reader alarms just with vibration. I find it sufficient to wake me (with the reader under my pillow), and (most of the time) I have the reader in a pocket and feel it OK. (Some other times I'm definitely hearing it, of course: it rattles when I have it on my desk, for example.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back