Daytime Snoozing May Tell Risk of Hypoglycemia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Older patients with diabetes who are overly tired during the day may be at a higher risk for hypoglycemia, researchers reported.

In a subgroup analysis from a large observational study, patients who had higher scores on two different scales of daytime sleepiness were significantly more likely to have suffered from severe hypoglycemia (P=0.016 and P=0.024, respectively), Rebecca Reynolds, PhD, of Queen's Medical Research Institute in Edinburgh in Scotland, and colleagues reported online in Diabetes Care.

"In this large cohort of elderly people with type 2 diabetes, those with increased daytime sleepiness, as measured by two different scoring systems, were more likely to have experienced severe hypoglycemia," they wrote.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Endocrinology/Diabetes/42094

Hee Hee, just looked the Epworth Scale up, and did it, I scored 9, and 10 means you are definitely more sleepy than you should be.

That's v interesting as I had The Mother of a Hypo after brekkie this morning - first time in years since I've been that low - 1.8 and still dropping according to how I felt. And I drank the Lucozade and then went freezing cold and had to curl up foetally and sleep .....

After treating mega Hypos, esp when I've had to have the dreaded Hypokit jab - I always go absolutely freezing cold - is this actually a sign that Mr Liver has dumped, or only that he needs to?

Any ideas, anyone?

I got a 6 on the Epworth test (which I found most peculiar in it's questions). Having just woken up from my afternoon nap (in bed, hence finding the questions strange) with a BG of 7.3. The times I've had hypo's I've never felt sleepy (even when having a hypo at 3am!).

Well I'm not sleepy either with normal hypos, where my BG is gradually going down, even when it gets into the 1s. But when they plummet - and by this time I'd got up, had my Thyroxine, waited half an hour tested jabbed and had my brekkie (which always contains dairy, I the form of milk, which is why I have to wait 30 mins) and it was about 45 mins later I thought I'm hypo, shoot! - I'm very hypo and had started swigging L from the bottle as I simultaneously tested and got the 1.8. I'd then measured 100ml of L into a marked glass I keep in the kitchen and also drunk that; so that was 17g Carb on its own, plus what I'd already swigged. And I'd only jabbed for 18g Carb brekkie anyway (1 Weetabix plus milk)

So I gave in and slept and when I woke up, my BG was 3.4 ! I had of course omitted to turn my pump down, I can do what I did on Autopilot, but not do a TBR. But in theory, and on any other day of my life, the basal shouldn't have reduced my BG anyway.

I guess that it's the sort of sleep that an insulin coma actually is, the only remotely good thing about this one was - it wasn't 'assisted' LOL

And it's a horrible feeling - many years ago, when I've felt like I felt today, it always involved a 999 call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back