Dawn phenomenon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philrocks2020

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
High can anyone help with this.
As i understand it everyone has this, where the liver releases glucose into the blood to prepare for the body for waking.If your type 2 or 1 i guess thats too much for your insulin to cope with.I take a metaforman tablet and have tried taking the pill with dinner 6.00 after dinner 7.00 and at 10.00 still no joy.Some one said have a small glass of milk before bed and a bisciuit.

Any help or experience.

Thank Phil

Is it that your numbers are high on waking? What is your particular concern with this?( I’ve probably read it but missed the point, sorry)

Can't help I'm afraid - I just concentrated on after eating levels to move everything downwards.

High can anyone help with this.
As i understand it everyone has this, where the liver releases glucose into the blood to prepare for the body for waking.If your type 2 or 1 i guess thats too much for your insulin to cope with.I take a metaforman tablet and have tried taking the pill with dinner 6.00 after dinner 7.00 and at 10.00 still no joy.Some one said have a small glass of milk before bed and a bisciuit.

Any help or experience.

Thank Phil
What are your levels on waking, it may depend on when you are doing your sample, many people find unless they do their test before they even get out of bed then their level is higher, this is normally referred to as Foot on the Floor rather than Dawn Phenomenon.
What are your blood glucose levels like before and after food at other times of the day?

Your metformin is better taken with food and changing the time you take it will probably not make much difference but others may know better about that.

Hi @Philrocks2020, and sorry you are experiencing "foot on the floor". The only way around it that I know of is to eat as soon as I can, and take metformin with the early breakfast. Since my bloods came down, this problem pretty much went away. I've never had supper so cannot comment I'm afraid. Best of luck, I know it's not always possible to eat immediately after getting up.

It depends on what is actually happening to your numbers.
I accepted mine used to rise, but I used the kick to get out of bed in the morning.
Now I have reversed my diabetes it's back into the normal range, as I release enough insulin I can use to control it.

Here is my understanding of the problem. I am just a diabetic, not a biochemist; if anyone can provide a clearer version for ordinary people to understand I am happy to be corrected: I Ate Nothing! Why Are My BGs high?

I never do blogs.
Really? I rarely see a need to announce what I never do in that way. My blog is written as an archive to store standard replies to new people because the same questions are repeated over and over.

At the top of every page on this forum is this advice from the moderators: "Please be respectful of other peoples' opinions within our online community."

As an old-timer but new returnee I am trying hard to do that in my replies to you. I ask the same from you as we clearly have very different opinions about management of type 2 diabetes over the long term. The Newcastle diet has worked for you and for some others but is very unlikely to be able to be followed by the vast majority of newly diagnosed people. It is difficult enough to get many people to change their menu and reduce carbs significantly let alone go on a drastically low calorie diet.

Despite that I will respect your wish to promote the Newcastle Diet provided you respect my wish to promote feedback from peak post-meal testing.

Really? I rarely see a need to announce what I never do in that way. My blog is written as an archive to store standard replies to new people because the same questions are repeated over and over.

At the top of every page on this forum is this advice from the moderators: "Please be respectful of other peoples' opinions within our online community."

As an old-timer but new returnee I am trying hard to do that in my replies to you. I ask the same from you as we clearly have very different opinions about management of type 2 diabetes over the long term. The Newcastle diet has worked for you and for some others but is very unlikely to be able to be followed by the vast majority of newly diagnosed people. It is difficult enough to get many people to change their menu and reduce carbs significantly let alone go on a drastically low calorie diet.

Despite that I will respect your wish to promote the Newcastle Diet provided you respect my wish to promote feedback from peak post-meal testing.

Ah, maybe you need to learn times have changed, and you need to respect people can make their own choices, rather than right them off as failures that can't decide their own path, and one "standard" answer fits all.
If you have already decided the vast majority can't reduce calories, maybe you need to step back , and accept that was your failure, not everyone elses?
Please be respectful of other people's strengths, don't decide that others can't make choices you consider "difficult"
We are all different, we can all make our own "difficult" choices.
You have already insulted me, and others, by telling those of us that have reversed our diabetes that we must be wrong, as you don't believe you could do it.
So I ask you to consider your replies, as we don't lie.
We have simply moved on to modern practices.
I had a type 1 "old-timer" who used to work for me.
His routine was to inject the same insulin, and to eat the same foods every day.
This worked perfectly for him, for nearly fifty years. It was his own personal system. And he managed that very well.
But nowadays, times change.
Same for type 2.
I appreciate you have coped really well, when you were diagnosed no one knew what the future would bring, no one knew what could change, and you found a way to cope at the time. It must have been very difficult back them.
No doubt your archive provides a window into the past.
But as I said, it's not my past, and it's not a thing I do.
And there is no need to announce you are respecting my wishes, as you say, no need at all to announce yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, maybe you need to learn times have changed, and you need to respect people can make their own choices, rather than right them off as failures that can't decide their own path, and one "standard" answer fits all.
I do not do that. I advise people to find out their own path to health using feedback from their meter, unlike some who consider weight loss and ultra-low-calorie as the only solution.
If you have already decided the vast majority can't reduce calories, maybe you need to step back , and accept that was your failure, not everyone elses?
I did not fail, I lost the weight without the full benefit you suggest. As to whether I am incorrect about the vast majority you might have missed the study mentioned this week about the 5% who achieve "remission".
You have already insulted me, and others, by telling those of us that have reversed our diabetes that we must be wrong, as you don't believe you could do it.
If you consider reversal to be a return to non-diabetic even Dr Taylor does not make that claim. Until a cure is discovered the most appropriate term would be remission or well-managed.

I'll leave it there.

I do not do that. I advise people to find out their own path to health using feedback from their meter, unlike some who consider weight loss and ultra-low-calorie as the only solution.

I did not fail, I lost the weight without the full benefit you suggest. As to whether I am incorrect about the vast majority you might have missed the study mentioned this week about the 5% who achieve "remission".

If you consider reversal to be a return to non-diabetic even Dr Taylor does not make that claim. Until a cure is discovered the most appropriate term would be remission or well-managed.

I'll leave it there.

Indeed you should leave it there.

You need to be diet controlled, and on meds, I just need to be happy my path means I'm not.

I can't judge your path, and as you say, you may be happy at non diabetic levels, eating to your meter, whereas some of us are at non diabetic lifestyles. (Despite you saying it's not actually possible)
Lets move on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back