Dawn phenomenon

Status
Not open for further replies.

HappyHelen

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi All

Hope everyone is well.

I have been using freestyle Libre for last couple of months and have been blown away by the amount of information I now have at my fingertips. I'm very lucky in that all of sensors so far have been very accurate. 🙂

From this extra data, I notice that some mornings I suffer from dawn phenomenon but others I don't... I haven't yet spotted a common denominator yet for the nights where it does happen (ie its not always preceded by takeaway or a particularly stodgy dinner). Just wondered if anyone else can pinpoint any reasons why they may get it after certain situations? For me, it looks fairly random at the moment but I suspect it isn't really random but can't yet find the link!

Thanks! X

I experience the same. My theory is that it's to do with how much glucose is stored in my liver, so when I've been trying to lose weight and therefore eating a lot less carbs, I have less stored and my liver doesn't dump it. It's only a theory and it's hard to predict and measure but bears some correlation to my total daily bolus dose the day before.
I am hoping to use the Libre myself soon to investigate further.

Hello, HappyHelen, this happens to me too. I've got a libre. and one thing it has shown me is that I always fall quite steeply towards 3am, then rise a bit, a lot, or not at all. There are some common factors in my pattern, I know if I've had a glass of wine the evening before, or if I've exercised a lot the day before, I'm less likely to get a dawn rise. If I wake up early, say 5am, and start thinking about something stressful I might be doing that day, it rises. Sometimes there doesn't seem to be a pattern at all, I think my liver just likes keeping me on my toes.

I don't have a libre but I have noticed that protein has quite the effect on me and if I eat a particularly protein heavy meal I get a post breakfast spike the day after. I know protein takes a long time to digest but surely not that long! My working theory is that my body dumps glucose when it doesn't have any carb in there. So for instance one of my favourite meals is nut loaf and salad with a few mixed beans, it's almost negligible on the carb front in terms of a meal, and every time I have that I get a post breakfast spike the next day. I'm still investigating the nature of this weirdness but it's irritating me quite a lot. I mention it because I'd missed the protein connection because it didn't occur to me that it might even have an impact 🙄

I can't offer any advice but only sympathy. I use the Libre for my son and some mornings, but not all, he has a steady rise from about 5am. As he is only slightly out of range for a relatively short time, I am not usually too worried as I can see that he has been ok most of the night. I agree with Kooky about protein, it is a nightmare to manage. If Jamie has a lot of protein in his evening meal, he has lovely levels all evening and then after bed when the short acting is running out, he may go up quite steeply and need an extra jab in the night. Very frustrating but I guess that is the nature of the beast that is diabetes.

Thank you all for your replies. Lots to think about now and will see if I can spot the link! If I find it, I will let you know!

Thanks again.

Hello Helen. I love my Libre too. I put a sensor on before I did Scar-fell pike last week. Took me 12hrs to do with lots of tests. Porridge for breakfast, 1hr drive then 4 hrs to get to top. I could not have done without Libre. Pump was set on 1 & " % basal. PERFECT bg all day. Trusted libre all the way 😎

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back