Dawn Phenomenon

Status
Not open for further replies.

pegrama

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello, I'm new to this site, but diagnosed with type 2 one year ago. The thing I just cannot seem to get control of is the early morning rise in BG. It can be 6 or less when I go to bed and in the morning (around 06:00) it's invariably around 8 or even 9. Does anyone have any idea how to control this?

firstly a warm welcome to the forum

Low-glycemic foods that can help lower blood sugar levels include fruit such as pears, apples, and oranges. Oatmeal, peanuts, beans, peas, and granola are all low-glycemic foods. High-glycemic foods include potatoes, rice, and white bread. Research has shown that potatoes and white bread are converted extremely quickly by the body into glucose. In fact, they are converted more quickly than a chocolate would be.

Drinking plenty of water is another way to lower blood sugar levels. Drinking at least eight glasses of water per day will also flush harmful toxins from the body, help with weight loss, and keep the skin healthy. Recent research has shown that certain herbs can help lower blood sugar levels as well. Taking ginseng after meals has been shown to regulate blood sugar levels. Other helpful herbs include yarrow, huckleberries, cinnamon powder, and licorice extract.

JUST A FEW THINGS I FOUND THAT CAN LOWER THE LEVELS.

Last edited:
Are you on medication for your diabetes? If you're on insulin it may be that you could alter the timing of your basal (or the amount of it) to cope with the dawn phen....?

Nettle tea is said to lower the glucose levels but tastes disgusting. The reccomendation I was given was at least two cups a day and no more than four.

Also the timing of your last meal or snack has an effect on the morning levels in the morning.

Have a read of this:
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/joomla/dawn-phenomenon

What most T2s find effective is a snack before bed with a small number of slow carbs, plus protein and fat. Personally what works is one or two (nairn) oatcakes with benecol/butter and cheese. Others use a handful of nuts etc.

The closer to sleep that you have it, the more effective it is. Also you need a gap of 3 hours + from your last meal to be fully effective.

The reason it works is that your body's automatic systems slow down during sleep. So if it is processing food, that is slowed right down and the body will produce glucose from the carbs, protein and fat through the night to stop you going to low and having a liver dump.

There's always red wine as well of course. A small glass (sorry!). Alcohol inhibits the liver from dumping.

Without a bedtime snack my fasting can be 5.5 to 6.5. With the snack I've been anywhere from 3.6 to 5.3.

But as Aymes suggested, if you are on insulin that can change things and you need to be looking more at basal levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back