David Owen - My plan to save the NHS ? in the nick of time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
As I watched the National Health Service celebrated through hospital beds and patients in Danny Boyle's Olympic opening ceremony my spirits lifted suddenly, replacing the despair I felt at the passing of the Health and Social Care Act. I could see a way to reinstate the essential legal and democratic basis for the NHS in England by drawing up a short bill to focus a cross-party campaign on restoring the health secretary's duty to promote and provide as well as secure a comprehensive, integrated health service ? while avoiding another unwanted "top down reorganisation".

The aim of the NHS (amended duties and powers) bill, which I have now introduced into the House of Lords, is that concerned members of the public can use it to question candidates in byelections and at the general election. It is not a Labour party bill, or one drawn up by the newly formed National Health Action party. Of course the bill is open to any organisation or individual to support, but it is an aid to campaigning, not a campaign itself.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jan/28/my-plan-to-save-nhs-ravages-market

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back