David James death: Doctors 'right' to withhold treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Judges were right to allow doctors to withhold treatment from a "gravely ill" guitarist, the Supreme Court has ruled.

David James, 68, of Liverpool, died in 2012, days after doctors successfully argued in court that stopping treatment was in his best interests.

Aintree University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust said it was "pleased" the Court of Appeal ruling was upheld.

Mr James' family are considering a further appeal to the European Court of Human Rights.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-24741844

My family and I have just recently had to go through a similar situation.

It is a very hard thing to accept, but there are circumstances where medical intervention is no longer in the patient's best interests. Especially since these days it is possible to keep someone alive even when there is no hope of them making a recovery.

It goes against a person's natural instincts because we immediately think it has to be a good thing to keep them alive, but on the other hand, if there is no hope then who are you doing it for. Certainly not the patient.

Anyway, I feel for the family of this person. It is not a pleasant thing to have to deal with.

I recommend that everyone reads up on the following and understands it. It may prove useful one day especially if you have to come to terms with the loss of a loved one:

Liverpool Care Pathway for the Dying Patient

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back