David Cameron wants the obese to feel worthless. So much for his big society

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
There is no longer any doubt: we are unhealthily obsessed with health. We live in a society where to be healthy is not simply about wanting to avoid illness. It is a way of demonstrating your moral worth.

Attending a spinning class in the early morning is crucial, not because it will make you healthier, but because it will convince the rest of the world, and hopefully yourself, that you are not one of “them”.

You can say, look at me, I am not one of those weak-willed, lazy or feeble people who don’t work out.

Indeed, if you fail to look after your health, you will be perceived as a liability, both to yourself and others.

When health becomes a moral imperative we automatically begin to view those who are unhealthy as moral failures. But how big is the step from informally demonising unhealthy people to formally punishing them?

Very small it seems.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/feb/16/david-cameron-obese-big-society-benefits

:( I liked the point about " It may come as a surprise to some that, from a purely financial perspective, no group is more expensive to society than the healthy non-smokers, who continue to live many years after they retire, during which time they, too, become an economic burden to society." 🙄

Many of us who are obese feel that David Cameron is worthless. 🙄

It sounds as if he's leading up to the idea, which has appeared in many science-fiction stories, of compulsory euthanasia when one reaches a certain age. 😱 In the movie Logan's Run said age was 30! 😱😱

Many of us who are obese feel that David Cameron is worthless. 🙄

It sounds as if he's leading up to the idea, which has appeared in many science-fiction stories, of compulsory euthanasia when one reaches a certain age. In the movie Logan's Run said age was 30! 😱

Nah! They'd lose the pensioner vote! 😱 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back