Data collection - research

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrienne

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi

Here is the link :

http://www.rcpch.ac.uk/Research/Research-Activity/Current-Projects/National-Diabetes-Survey

All hospitals in England only had to respond. This is for children only. A couple of hospitals didn't respond but only 2 or 3. It has surprising answers.

What we knew before was that we had been told by DUK and others that there were approximately 21,000 children with diabetes and that of this 21,000 there were 1000 of them with type 2. Type 2 is of epidemic proportion and getting out of control, this is what we were all told, hence the change4life campaign.

However this research has blown that info out of the water. It was conducted by Rowan Hillson amongst others.

It has been establised that there are 23,0000 children in England alone with type 1 diabetes. Type 2 however, this huuuuuge epidemic, there are only 368 in total. This is hardly an epidemic and yes of course it is 368 too many but they were seriously lacking in their intell on children with type 1. If this figure of 23,000 is only in England, what about Scotland, Wales and Ireland. So although type 1 in children is quite rare really, there are a hell of a lot more children out there then originally thought and consistency in their care around the UK is abysmal and totally inconsistent. Pumps are a postcode lottery, proper DSN's are hit and miss, consultants and DSNs in the 21st century are also hit and miss. Care in schools is appalling more than it is great. I am very lucky for my daughter, but for every good school there are more bad ones. Accademically they might be good but caring for medical needs of this 'invisible' condition is very bad. I have friends who have gone through SENDIST, are now home educating, have made their children move schools, parents have been reported to social services by nurses who know nothing of diabetes and labelled the parents neurotic - this was totally cleared, the parents were brilliant parents and this has been proved.

What a sorry state of affairs. This country is one of the worst and fails the children with type 1 diabetes.

Ok I'll get off my soapbox, rant over.......... 😛

Good grief, what a set of figures. I won't tell you on these pages what a consultant we phoned in the States said about the UK system: suffice it to say that she was *stunned* about a number of aspects.

Sigh. I am grateful though that my son did not die and will not die anytime soon, from diabetes anyway. He tells me this when things get rough, and feels it deeply himself. In another country, and at another time, he'd be dead already.

Good grief, what a set of figures. I won't tell you on these pages what a consultant we phoned in the States said about the UK system: suffice it to say that she was *stunned* about a number of aspects.

Sigh. I am grateful though that my son did not die and will not die anytime soon, from diabetes anyway. He tells me this when things get rough, and feels it deeply himself. In another country, and at another time, he'd be dead already.

Yep I agree with both of those statements. The USA system is generally much better. They don't have mixed insulins but they do still sometimes free mix in syringes. However it is all to do with the NHS here and the private system there!

You are right, in India and places like that our children would not be here. My daughter would have died within 2 days of birth without a shadow of a doubt!!

...You are right, in India and places like that our children would not be here. My daughter would have died within 2 days of birth without a shadow of a doubt!!

It's a terrible thing. When I was a few weeks into my 'experience' I asked the DSN what happened to people in countries where care was not as readily available - she pulled no punches and said 'They die'.:(

My physio is from India, and he was telling me that poor families over there are seen begging for insulin from the rich people - and diabetes is prevalent over there. His own family have lots of type 1 diabetics - but he comes from a wealthy family of researchers who can all afford their own insulin. Despite some of the problems we have with the NHS i do think we are incredibly lucky that we have it! Bev

Thanks for the link - how dreadful for those little girls? Have i read it right - that they want test meters etc - i have spare ones here as we were sent the latest models. I would happily send them - but perhaps they want a company to send hundreds? Bev

organisations using unwanted diabetes supplies

I came across this scheme to send diabetes supplied to developing countries recently - http://www.iddtinternational.org/india/index.htm which supports Dream Trust in India. Basically, they want: No longer needed, unopened and in-date insulin [with at least 3 months to the expiry date], Syringes, Lancets, Needles, Glucose test strips - post to Northampton (addresss on link) It seems they can use any quantities, not just large amounts.

In a related issue, a friend in a Snowdonia mountain rescue team recently asked for any out of date glucagon kits, to be used for training purposes - not to inject into anyone! So, if anyone has any out of date glucagon, it would be worth googling for mountain / fell / cave rescue teams and askign if they could use kits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back