Dapaglifozin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve H

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone,
I've been type 2 for about 6 years. I started by trying diet control but soon moved to taking metformin with a few extras (statins, asprin and allopurinol for something else). Metformin and a couple of lifestyle tweaks kept my hba1c at a consistent level of 48 until recently. I had a period of mental health problems where I took my eye off the ball for a couple of months. I also had a big gap in check ups presumably due to the impact covid had our gp practice and everyone else.
To my horror my previously decent hba1c had gone up to 75! I managed to get it back down into 60s then high 50s and at this point was put on Dapaglifozin.

Shortly after taking Dapaglifozin I noticed some positive changes. I felt less symptomatic and in fact it made me realise how symptomatic I had become. I also started to lose a little weight. I am also pleased to read the positive results in reducing risk of heart attacks etc. I have been urinating more frequently and have noticed changes in my urine. Urinating more can be an issue in my job but I can live with that. My only problem is that I am suffering one bout of thrush after another at the moment. It is obviously uncomfortable especially when combined with urinating more, it is affecting my relationship and it is starting to bother me now as I don't seem to be clear for more than a week or so before it starts again. I use canesten to control it.
I have had 3 holidays in close succession so it's possible that my blood sugars have been a bit higher due to extra meals out, drinks and deserts. I am hoping that my thrush is as much a response to this as anything else and will settle down on a normal routine.
Has anyone else found anything that helps prevent or treat thrush or have any similar experiences they are willing to share?

It is one of the side effects of that medication and probably means your blood glucose is still quite high as you will be excreting the excess glucose in urine. Thrush is a yeast infection and yeast absolutely love a sugary environment. Making sure you drink plenty as I'm sure you know at least 3 litres a day is recommended. Keeping your diet in order to minimise those high levels will help.

There are also oral medications for thrush which you probably need to get on prescription.
(When you have thrush, your partner probably has to have the treatment as well otherwise can reinfect you)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back