Dance show and pre-dance show reherseals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monica

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
😱 Carol is supposed (if it snows too much, she might not be able to get there) to take part in a dance show tomorrow. She has to be there for 12.30pm. The show does't start till 3!!

Knowing Carol, she won't want to test. I will not be there to nag her, but I will tell her beforhand to test 30 min before the show starts, just in case!!

I don't like it when I don't know how much dancing she will do, as I then don't know how much food she should have ( I know, she needs her freedom to decide, but I know she'll make the wrong decisions). And to top it all, she decided, without asking, that they'd eat a mcD on the train there (a friend will bring them to the station)! She actually wanted to go on her own with her friends to a town, she's only ever been with us and not paid attention how to get to the train station, plus it will be dark on the way back.

She doesn't want me to watch the show, so I said I'd go christmas shopping! In this weather??!!!😱

(I know, mother hen is clucking too much🙄)

I don't think you are clucking too much! At her age there's a tendency to feel that important things aren't that important really, it's just Mum nagging. I hope though that she does her tests, and has some fast sugar handy if she starts feeling woozy during the dancing.

I don't know whether she'd be interested, but she might if she enjoys dancing, I read a superb book about a New York City ballet dancer who was diagnosed with Type 1 just as her career was taking off - might be a Christmas present idea for her? There's a review I did on my blog here (if you click on the picture it takes you to an amazon link):

http://diabetespoetry.blogspot.com/2010/03/sugarless-plum-zippora-karz.html

🙂

What sort of dance is it that she does? I've found that when I've done showcases, it has helped on occassion to try drinking a bottle of lucozade sport between classes as it doesn't push you up too quickly, and you burn most of it off. Maybe that might be something to think about?

Thanks Alan, but Carol isn't into Ballet, she takes Street Dance lessons. They are very energetic, like the dancers behind the pop stars. She's dancing 3 dances I think (of about 3/4 min each), but I don't know how many other dances there are. So she's not constantly dancing.

I didn't know Lucozade sport is slower release!!😱 I'll have to buy some tomorrow on the way there. Thanks Becky.

Hopefully, it'll snow sooo hard, that we won't be able to go. (I know I'm meeeaaaan)

Yes, it's slower release than the regular stuff - which is why if you WERE using it as a hypo treatment, you'd have to drink twice as much. My dietician said that it was a good idea to use an electrolyte drink (I have the berry flavoured 'fuel' one) to balance it out.

I do latin and ballroom classes, so I stop and start a lot, because we're having tuition as we go. It works well for me, but of course, everyone's different! 🙂

No, never dreamed of using Sport for hypo, Carol doesn't like the regular stuff! But she might like the lemon Sport one.

Will definitely give it a go🙂

Yay - the dance show was brilliant! Carol danced twice. She didn't test!! Drank most of the Lucozade sport. Had chips for lunch. Came home, tested 9.1🙂

Yay - the dance show was brilliant! Carol danced twice. She didn't test!! Drank most of the Lucozade sport. Had chips for lunch. Came home, tested 9.1🙂

Phew! Naughty Carol not testing! Glad to hear the show went well, and without incident! 🙂

Yes, Carol's like that, if I'm not standing over her she won't test. I texted her twice reminding her to do it!! Luckily no harm done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back