Daft question but does Weather affect diabetes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WelshRoo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My bloods seem to be all over the place yesterday but Im aware I had quite a carb heavy day.
Breakfast - coffee with two sweeteners, cornflakes and semi skimmed milk
mid morning - 2 biscuits (wholemeal digestives)
Lunch - spaghetti hoops, bertolli spread on 2 pieces of toast
mid afternoon - 2 biscuits
Dinner - sandwich with turkey ham and cucumber

Then went to bed at 11 and felt a bit off so had a bottle of water and 2 more digestive biscuits!
Highest my bloods went was 9.9 , lowest was 6.3 ---- I generally sit between 5-7

Ive made a conserve effort to drink more water today and stay out of the sun. Not that I ever sit in the sun as Im fair and suffer with prickly heat but inside our house is still very warm.

Im just wondering can heat or weather affect diabetes? Have been struggling with tiredness and fatigue the last few days too.

The weather affects my blood sugars @WelshRoo but that’s because I’m on insulin. If you’re feeling a bit rough, then that can affect your blood sugars too, but looking at your day’s food, I’d guess it was more likely to be that that’s caused the blood sugar issues, especially if it’s a few more carbs than you’d usually have.

It does, (especially if you suffer with prickly heat):

1686243013571.png

It does, (especially if you suffer with prickly heat):

View attachment 26239
Presumably those values are reporting on the 3 months to the date at which the sample was taken, so the whole graph needs to move sideways? I wonder if it's to do with temperature or related to activity levels - certainly I find I run higher during the winter simply because it's dark and it takes much more effort to do stuff/there's fewer things that need to be done (e.g. the gardening, mowing the lawn, walking to the shop because it's sunny and not raining sideways, massive bike rides, etc. 😉)

High heat does effect us diabetics more as we can get dehydrated more then the average person.It’s very important to drink plenty of water.

we can get dehydrated more then the average person
This is the first I have heard of this.
Can you provide more information?
Is it about having diabetes or is it about having high blood glucose levels?

I know I am only a sample of one but, in the twenty years since my diagnosis, I have not found I need to drink any more than beforehand or more than anyone else.

Both as you sweat more when you have high blood sugars.Some tips below.

Both as you sweat more when you have high blood sugars.Some tips below.

This does not say anything about people with diabetes being more prone to dehydration.
The thing about sweating causing dehydration is true for everyone.
And people with well managed diabetes will rarely experience high blood sugars.

I am not disagreeing with the importance of staying hydrated but I am not convinced it is different for someone with diabetes.

Last edited:
Weather absolutely does affect my T1. And not always predictably. I’ve heard it said you get more hypos but tbh I’ve had it go both ways

You sweat more when you have high blood sugars
I sweat more when I have hypos!

Just another of those things where we are all different and generalisation don't always work when talking about people with diabetes or how diabetes affects our health.

Apologise for slightly off topic , I drink more water in hot weather because I seem to sweat profusely especially when humidity is high like in the last few days, the downside is keeping the sensor on my arm , the adhesive patch on the sensor starts to lift around the edges and eventually slides off my arm. 1.( Why don't they make the adhesive patch bigger ? ) 2. I have bought various types of plasters designed to fit over the sensor, but these seem to lift at the edges when showering and have to be replaced . 3. Recently purchased a couple of adjustable elasticated arm bands with a plastic disc that fits snugly over the sensor, these are an improvement over plasters but have had a few sensors stop working because of my arm starting to weep blood under the sensor. ( arm band adjusted to give minimum pressure on the sensor ) Any advice regarding peoples experience of an alternative site to attach the sensor i find back of the upper arm seems quite vulnerable . Or is it just me having issues ?

Apologise for slightly off topic , I drink more water in hot weather because I seem to sweat profusely especially when humidity is high like in the last few days, the downside is keeping the sensor on my arm , the adhesive patch on the sensor starts to lift around the edges and eventually slides off my arm. 1.( Why don't they make the adhesive patch bigger ? ) 2. I have bought various types of plasters designed to fit over the sensor, but these seem to lift at the edges when showering and have to be replaced . 3. Recently purchased a couple of adjustable elasticated arm bands with a plastic disc that fits snugly over the sensor, these are an improvement over plasters but have had a few sensors stop working because of my arm starting to weep blood under the sensor. ( arm band adjusted to give minimum pressure on the sensor ) Any advice regarding peoples experience of an alternative site to attach the sensor i find back of the upper arm seems quite vulnerable . Or is it just me having issues ?
No it’s not just you! I’ve had similar experiences , any advice out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back