DAFNE Pump Course - What did you think

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoebeC

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

I have never had formal DAFNE training in 18 years, I have used all sources of information including this forum to learn what I need. So I am not sure if it is worth it, or if it is something I can learn on my own.

My DSN suggested I attend the DAFNE Pump Course after starting on the omnipod last year, she was happy with my level of understanding to go onto the pump, but suggested this would help, especially with extended bolus which I have never used yet. When I got the letter I couldn't attend the dates, as I was away with work for one of the weeks.

The course is 1 day a week for 5 weeks in October - November, with appointments before and afterwards.
I have asked if this could be done online and have been told not from this team. It is a hour each way on the bus for me, and a lot of time off work I could do without unless there will be a benefit.

Have you attended? Did you find it useful?

Everything I have read online is about how it can give me more confidence, flexibility etc., but I don't lack these things now.

I might call my DSN about it, the main issue I have with my control is my hormones, and we are waiting for my sterliastion, which can be anytime now until July. I have until 12th to decide.

Thanks

A DAFNE like course was a pre-requisite for me to get my pump despite doing pretty well for 12 years self-learning.
As it was pre-pump, it did not cover things like extended bolus and that was something I was able to teach myself with a few small pointers.
But that did not mean the course was a waste of time.
For me, it was one evening a week for six weeks (at the annoying time of 6pm to 9pm so I never worked out when to eat my evening meal as I had to leave work early to get there ... but that is an irrelevant aside).
I don't feel I learnt 18 hours worth of information but it was the first time I had the opportunity to talk to other people with Type 1 and learn about some of their issues. It is fine to read about neuropathy and the risks of high BG but it hit home much harder when I spoke to intelligent. articulate, funny people who are struggle with it.
Being an engineer, I probably find it easier to pick up and understand diabetes issues than many. So learnt less than others on the course. So that was where (I hope this doesn't sound arrogant), I was able to "pay forward" and share my experience with others who were afraid to do any exercise or experiment with food, for example.

I couldn't tell you whether your course would be useful for you as we are all different and courses are all different but I am glad I invested the time for my course.
I would also highly recommend trying out some extended boluses - they are great for pizza and curry but actually, most of my boluses are extended or combo nowadays as I don't eat that much which is digested at the same rate as my insulin works.

I’ve never been on DAFNE or any related pump course @PhoebeC Personally I wouldn’t bother if you’re confident and managing well.

As far as I am aware there is not a DAFNE Pump Course. As @helli mentioned, the DAFNE course used to be a prerequisite for getting a pump, so you don't "need" it in that respect and there was definitely no pump info on the DAFNE course ie discussion of extended boluses etc. If there was DAFNE course for pumping, I would imagine it would be a one day add on to a regular DAFNE, but I really doubt it exists.
Like @helli I also found the DAFNE course helpful from the point of view of seeing how varied diabetes is and learning how to problem solve for other people as that broadened my understanding, but even with just 8 months of diabetes experience and learning from this forum, I knew more than most (probably all of them) on the course, some of whom had decades of experience, sadly some of it pretty bad experience like regular severe hypos. What I gained most from it I think was confidence and that enabled me to take more responsibility for my own diabetes management. I can't really imagine a scenario now when I would seek advice from a DSN in respect of my diabetes management because they simply don't live with me day by day and therefore don't know how my body and diet work and I haven't spoken to one for years. I have a 10 min phone call with the consultant once a year, but for me it is more about checking I have my mental balance right and using him as a sounding board to reassess my approach rather than discussing specifics or asking advice. Anyway, I digress slightly....

I would ask what pump input there is in the course from someone who actually knows, rather than your DSN, because I think she is mistaken in that respect as I don't think there is any pump input. I found the course beneficial but I quite quickly dropped most of the DAFNE principles because they were not helpful to be.... possibly/probably because I eat low carb..... and of course the course is for "Normal Eating". That said, I am retired so it didn't involve taking time off work. My course was a full 5 day week.

Hi @PhoebeC , tbh much of what you could learn about basal rates & extended boluses can be learnt in books or on net, places like YouTube has some good info plus I'm sure there is some on-line training course by omnipod manufacture.

You could also ask to do a video call with a pump rep if your going to find it difficult to attend a course in person.

I attended a DAFNE course 17 years ago as a pre-requiste for getting a pump. I've never heard of a DAFNE pump course as such.
The course concentrated on adjusting insulin doses to cater for eating differrent foods and in differrent situations, for example buffets or prolonged meals. A lot of time was spent on carb counting and calculating carbs in meals.
Using dual and square waves on insulin pumps was mentioned but not in great detail. Possibly because everyone on the course was still on a basal/bolus regimen. I was given more detailed information about square and dual waves once I actually had my pump, but not on the DAFNE course itself.

I enjoyed the social aspect of the course, meeting other people with diabetes, sharing and solving our problems. I appreciate DAFNE may not for everyone, especially those with lots of experience and confidence about managing their diabetes.

I found daphne a bit basic for me, to be honest. I had already taught myself much of it.
I was 'persuded' to stop my basal which did not solve my issue, nor help my management and my tir suffered.
Plus there wasn't much time to talk to others, and questions weren't answered, but put on the whiteboard for the doctor, who was supposed to turn up on the last day to answer them but didn't.
Not a great experience for me

I found daphne a bit basic for me, to be honest. I had already taught myself much of it.
I was 'persuded' to stop my basal which did not solve my issue, nor help my management and my tir suffered.
Plus there wasn't much time to talk to others, and questions weren't answered, but put on the whiteboard for the doctor, who was supposed to turn up on the last day to answer them but didn't.
Not a great experience for me
This sounds like a problem with the trainers/presenters who ran your course rather than the course itself.
My course (which was called something else) was very different, really encouraged interaction and was run by a DSN and dietician who were very knowledgeable to able to answer all questions unless they were personal which they followed up with on a one-to-one basis. There was no need for a separate doctor to turn up for a short time with no context.
Maybe it was helped by being run over multiple weeks so the presenters had time to get answers before the next session.

I guess what I am saying is that your experience should not be typical.
Although I am sorry that is what you got.

I guess it might serve as a helpful refresher @PhoebeC

And there might be a nugget or two that you can use (or just confirmation that the way you do things is a better way for you)

Plus, if you have a better experience than @Tdm, hopefully you’d have some diabetes-chat time.

Would the days required be relatively easy for you to fit into your schedule?

Would the days required be relatively easy for you to fit into your schedule?
No, it’s going to be a right faff, at least 5 days off work in the run up to our busy months and when one of my team is on leave. Typical.

No, it’s going to be a right faff, at least 5 days off work in the run up to our busy months and when one of my team is on leave. Typical.

Seriously - don’t bother. You’re here and you have a DSN and internet access. Extended boluses aren’t some dark art that needs special tutorship. It’s just a case of having a rough idea and experimenting.

Hmmmm… Well I think in your shoes that might weigh quite heavily into the decision-making process for me.

Well I have put my name down, it is not until October, hopefully it is useful.

Might be useful to have actual diabetic training. We often do know more, but still it is nice to hear your know knowledge confirmed.

I can take my laptop on my journey and work on the way there and back, making the most of the travel time.

Well I have put my name down, it is not until October, hopefully it is useful.

Might be useful to have actual diabetic training. We often do know more, but still it is nice to hear your know knowledge confirmed.

I can take my laptop on my journey and work on the way there and back, making the most of the travel time.

Good choice, if anything you'll get to meet & chat with other type 1s & share experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back