DAFNE course assesment

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikee

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Good afternoon ladies and gents,

I have recently been accepted for a DAFNE course at the end of next month finally and have to go to an assesment before hand. for those of you that have done this before could you tell me what goes on in this assesment please? I am worried for some reason that i might not get onto the course by failing the assesment? is there anything i should be doing or take with me especially for it?

Thanks,

Mike

is it with your dsn? All i had pre dafne was an appointment with my dsn for hba1c, weight etc and a general chat to make sure i was happy with everything, knew what was involved and so they could compare me pre and post dafne. It wasnt a selective process.

is it with your dsn? All i had pre dafne was an appointment with my dsn for hba1c, weight etc and a general chat to make sure i was happy with everything, knew what was involved and so they could compare me pre and post dafne. It wasnt a selective process.

No it isnt with my dsn, its with the person who is running the course as far as im aware. :confused:

hi mike i cant advise as i have not been on course yet, but from what i know of people in here who have been they really love it , so i hope you do to

i hope so too! im really looking forward to it as i have only been a type 1 since last year.

Hello,

I really enjoyed DAFNE course and learned a lot from it.

I was like aymes and just got height, weight and HbA1c taken before the course.

NiVZ

Yup, I was the same as Aymes and NiVZ. I think it's just so they can have a baseline for the start of the course, and they can explain to you what happens. They also set us all up on a basic ratio for the first morning of the course, so part of the meeting was about making sure we were ok with that.

I'm sure you'll be fine, and the course is fantastic 🙂

hiya so can i just ask is the DAFNE primerely for t1s? as im looking to going on course named X-pert.

Hi Steff,

DAFNE is an acronym for Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating and is targetted at Type 1 diabetics.

There have been many types of courses lately for these, but the one I remember hearing about for Type 2's was called DESMOND which stood for Diabetes Education and Self Management for Ongoing and Newly Diagnosed.

They have a website here: http://www.desmond-project.org.uk/

NiVZ

thanks for the explanation niVZ never knew what the letters stood for x

I didn't do DAFNE, but a shortened version of it that they run at my clinic. We had to do a questionnaire before and after the course which was about quality of life - e.g. to what extent do you agree that your happiness would be improved if you didn't have diabetes, and your work life, finances, etc. etc. I think they try to correlate your scores before and afterwards to see if having better control affects your quality of life. I don't know if this is widespread or just in my PCT - I thought possible they do the survey to justify the funding of running the course?

I am due to do a DAFNE course next week. I don't remember a big thing being mad out of a pre DAFNE assessment although I did have a clinic and a nurse appointment recently, so possibly all they need for it was done there?

I'm sure if you've been offered a place, Mike, it won't be withdrawn! I know that my DSN is actually running the course which is a reassurance! Good luck with it, maybe we can compare notes!

they do all this courses but they never do anything for parents with young children

"DAFNE" for children / parents

Not all people with type 1 diabetes have access to DAFNE, Graham's Mum. I've been diagnosed over 13 years, and still not had the chance, although probably wouldn't bother now, not least because of the near impossibility of getting a whole week away from work - it might be possible if I only had 1 job, but I have 1 full time job, plus 2 part time jobs.
Just as adults with type 2 need different courses (eg DESMOND), I'm pretty sure that parents would need different courses depending on the ages of their children. But why not work out a list of topics you'd like to be covered, then ask your local diabetes unit and see what they say? And be sure to come up with a daft sounding name...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back