D8betes diagnosis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gwynn

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Is there a reason why a diagnosis of diabetes, once given, is never taken away? Or have I misundetstood this?

Hmm, I understand what you are saying but what if the original diagnosis was wrong .

I am not so sure that I do actually have diabetes as opposed to it being in remission. I am not sure that I want a medical condition on my records if it is not true.

Type 2 can go into remission but it is always a risk in the background and can become an issue again.

Whatever you changed in your life allowed remission. You worked for it, you got.
Diabetes could creep back in, for various reasons.

I wondered this as well, if my a1c returns to normal levels, am I still considered to be a diabetic?

I wondered this as well, if my a1c returns to normal levels, am I still considered to be a diabetic?
My understanding is yes. A well managed diabetic with stable numbers but still diabetic. I also have issues with my original diagnosis as I have told this forum many times. But I also recognise there is no way of actually finding out so I have to accept it and allow myself a bit of a rant every so often.

My understanding is yes. A well managed diabetic with stable numbers but still diabetic. I also have issues with my original diagnosis as I have told this forum many times. But I also recognise there is no way of actually finding out so I have to accept it and allow myself a bit of a rant every so often.
Seems a bit harsh, does it affect travel insurance, car insurance etc?

Most likely considered diet controlled diabetic, I still had to have regular bloods etc when I managed to go back to normal Hba1c levels for a few years.

I believe yes, because you’ve presumably had to work to get your a1c into normal levels, if you then go back to your old habits it will go straight back up again. Unfortunately if your pancreas is struggling or you’ve developed insulin resistance than that isn't going to reverse by itself, you may be able to keep yourself in remission with diet and exercise and maybe meds but if you take all that away then you’ll get all the symptoms right back again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back