D UK Meal plans - Type 2. This Post isn't for newbies , Im not typical

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenny105

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
In 2- 3 weeks time I'll be having a talk with my GP. In preparation I'm using 2 x D UK meal plans .

1 1800. . To see if I can handle the carbs. ( glucose readings) And gain a very little weight . 10 days.
2 Low carb to check on glucose readings and whether my weight falls.
Note I was diagnosed as diabetic at 54kg , now 46kg with no thought . Weight loss is not an issue.
Can any long term diabetics tell me whether these meal plans assume that the user is wanting to lose weight ? In
other words do I need to adjust the calories in order to gain weight. The meals are delicious with simple recipes.

Last edited:
In 2- 3 weeks time I'll be having a talk with my GP. In preparation I'm using 2 x D UK meal plans .

1 1800. . To see if I can handle the carbs. ( glucose readings) And gain a very little weight . 10 days.
Note I was diagnosed as diabetic at 54kg , now 46kg with no thought . Weight loss is not an issue.
Can any long term diabetics tell me whether these meal plans assume that the user is wanting to lose weight ? In
other words do I need to adjust the calories in order to gain weight. The meals are delicious with simple recipes.

It will be interesting to see what long term low carb does, and what answers you get.
I got bombarded with "go low carb and lose weight effortlessly" when I decided to go for counting calories, but no one could ever answer when I asked "How do you stop?"
The best I ever got was "Your body will know"

Hi Jenny. I couldn't possibly comment on Diabetes UK's intent when compiling their meal plans. That would be something to pick up with them.

In terms of weight loss and stalling it, like you I didn't have a lot to lose in the first instance, but when I went low carbing, my love handles melted away, quickly. When I dropped to a weight I didn't want to go below, I set about stalling the loss, but in a controlled way, so that I might understand my requirements, moving forward.

In the strictest terms, increasing your food intake (to stall weight loss) will always increase the calories you are consuming, unless you are changing other elements in your eating patterns, like reducing fats. Even lettuce and cucumber contain calories, if you eat enough of it.

In terms of increasing my food intake, I concentrated on upping proteins, because my preference was to add muscle (in a toned way, not a body building way) rather than fat. After proteins I added my cheese and nuts to the mix, which eventually stopped my losses and gave me an insight into what my daily requirements are.

Nine years on, that has stood me in good stead.

My weight rarely varies by any more than +/-1.5. When travelling like now, I tend to lose weight, so have to make a few additional tweaks to manage that.

I don't know what your average intake is per day, but when I last totted mine up, it was closing in on 2500 calories a day. I am 160cm tall with a fighting weight of 48.5kg

On a complete aside, Jenny, in your signature I'm reading that your nurse feels an A1c of 44 is too low? Can I ask what her rationale on that is? Apologies if I interpreted that wrongly.

Hi Jenny. I couldn't possibly comment on Diabetes UK's intent when compiling their meal plans. That would be something to pick up with them.

In terms of weight loss and stalling it, like you I didn't have a lot to lose in the first instance, but when I went low carbing, my love handles melted away, quickly. When I dropped to a weight I didn't want to go below, I set about stalling the loss, but in a controlled way, so that I might understand my requirements, moving forward.

In the strictest terms, increasing your food intake (to stall weight loss) will always increase the calories you are consuming, unless you are changing other elements in your eating patterns, like reducing fats. Even lettuce and cucumber contain calories, if you eat enough of it.

In terms of increasing my food intake, I concentrated on upping proteins, because my preference was to add muscle (in a toned way, not a body building way) rather than fat. After proteins I added my cheese and nuts to the mix, which eventually stopped my losses and gave me an insight into what my daily requirements are.

Nine years on, that has stood me in good stead.

My weight rarely varies by any more than +/-1.5. When travelling like now, I tend to lose weight, so have to make a few additional tweaks to manage that.

I don't know what your average intake is per day, but when I last totted mine up, it was closing in on 2500 calories a day. I am 160cm tall with a fighting weight of 48.5kg

On a complete aside, Jenny, in your signature I'm reading that your nurse feels an A1c of 44 is too low? Can I ask what her rationale on that is? Apologies if I interpreted that wrongly.
Thanks for interesting reply. Ive found an intro to the men's 1800 diet which states its not for people wishing to put on weight. I picked this as for a lady who wants to raise her calories , maybe to 2000 on a diabetic type diet. To give a chance of at least stopping my weight falling. Also to introduce some safe changes (my present situation is a bit odd but Im due A1c shortly )
Re 44 I have no idea why she thought my 38 (down from 96 ) was too low. She wanted 56. I do not seem to be typical as mentioned. I have never understood this lady from 18m ago when I started this journey - out of the blue.
Medication had put my weight up to 11st 3 , 30 yrs ago . I spent the next 29yrs trying to get it down, but failed. In 9m i lost 28lbs -12kgs ? then diabetes kicked in , now Ive lost 4 stone in all.

Have you tried introducing regular snacks @Jenny105 ? It sounds a trivial thing to do but small regular snacks day after day, week after week, can help increase your calories and your weight. You can choose low carb snacks.

@Inka. Hi Inka. Hope you are good. Im having probs with fingerprint readings but putting those behind me til my glucose test next week.The meal plan has snacks. I'm trying them or adapting them

My doc now understands I've always been confused by my condition. So I hope I can soon get suitable answers after my glucose test. Take care.

Last edited:
Thanks for interesting reply. Ive found an intro to the men's 1800 diet which states its not for people wishing to put on weight. I picked this as for a lady who wants to raise her calories , maybe to 2000 on a diabetic type diet. To give a chance of at least stopping my weight falling. Also to introduce some safe changes (my present situation is a bit odd but Im due A1c shortly )
Re 44 I have no idea why she thought my 38 (down from 96 ) was too low. She wanted 56. I do not seem to be typical as mentioned. I have never understood this lady from 18m ago when I started this journey - out of the blue.
Medication had put my weight up to 11st 3 , 30 yrs ago . I spent the next 29yrs trying to get it down, but failed. In 9m i lost 28lbs -12kgs ? then diabetes kicked in , now Ive lost 4 stone in all.
To be honest, it seems sometimes these targets are based on folks taking blood glucose lowering meds, like Gliclazide or insulin, as examples, with the higher “target” to lower the risks of significant hypos occurring.

high blood sugar usually takes a long time to do long terms harm, whereas a serious hypo can have a catastrophic outcome in one hit.

Personally? Depending on any meds I might be taking, I’d still be striving for non-diabetic levels, whilst preserving a decent quality of life, and maintaining the ability to do what I want to do in my everyday life.

Aside from watching my carbs and watching my finger prick tests (and latterly having to banish gluten from my life), I have never followed a diet plan. I tend to prefer to be a bit more flexible in data to day living.

If you are reasonably active, 1800 calories might simply not be enough for you. These figures of X age, with Y height and weight = Z calories a day to achieve a stable weight can be waaaaay off.

To be honest, it seems sometimes these targets are based on folks taking blood glucose lowering meds, like Gliclazide or insulin, as examples, with the higher “target” to lower the risks of significant hypos occurring.

high blood sugar usually takes a long time to do long terms harm, whereas a serious hypo can have a catastrophic outcome in one hit.

Personally? Depending on any meds I might be taking, I’d still be striving for non-diabetic levels, whilst preserving a decent quality of life, and maintaining the ability to do what I want to do in my everyday life.

Aside from watching my carbs and watching my finger prick tests (and latterly having to banish gluten from my life), I have never followed a diet plan. I tend to prefer to be a bit more flexible in data to day living.

If you are reasonably active, 1800 calories might simply not be enough for you. These figures of X age, with Y height and weight = Z calories a day to achieve a stable weight can be waaaaay off.
Sorting out ones menus is a confusing business. I was underweight when diagnosed ( within Bmi boundaries but falling all the time) I've enjoyed trying the menus. Rung the changes but I adapted it. Calories didn't cross mind before this. I've started to consider this and raise them especially as I have to exercise my assistance dog for 1hr, in the country or on the Downs, 6 days a week. This lowers my readings but proba The other thing I find confusing is the differences and replies from type 1 and type. 2. Any way I'm going to use the 1800 plan, adapting it and adding to it accordingly to the weighing scales. My glucose test is next week That should throw light on the glucose and carbs

Sorting out ones menus is a confusing business. I was underweight when diagnosed ( within Bmi boundaries but falling all the time) I've enjoyed trying the menus. Rung the changes but I adapted it. Calories didn't cross mind before this. I've started to consider this and raise them especially as I have to exercise my assistance dog for 1hr, in the country or on the Downs, 6 days a week. This lowers my readings but proba The other thing I find confusing is the differences and replies from type 1 and type. 2. Any way I'm going to use the 1800 plan, adapting it and adding to it accordingly to the weighing scales. My glucose test is next week That should throw light on the glucose and carbs
Thanks for the replies. I've tried some of the 1800 plan . Adapting it with some of my usual favourites. I've enjoyed some of the recipes to tickle the taste buds. I'll continue to use it as a Base but adapt it with other recipes and my own according to my next test result and my weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back