Cyanide supplement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenny65

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Joking but apparently black seed oil contains it and I was recommended taking it as a supplement to help lower BG and maintain my weight by a random security guard on a night out

Now my son was with me and told me not to be silly and tear up his card with his number on. I have done so and won’t be getting any but it did make sense why even if it was effective at lowering BG it wouldn’t be promoted as an official licensed med if it contains cyanide. The man himself was a body builder type and said he swears by it but he isn’t diabetic so not sure how he knows it would help lower BG levels if he isn’t monitoring his own

He wasn’t selling it himself and It was actually me who asked for his number so he could provide me the link. I had had a few too many drinks at the time and even though he said it was only available on the dark web I hadn’t actually worried about the consequences until thinking about it in the cold light of day. He said you can get black seed oil but not the strength of this one which worlds but also contains cyanide!

Now I’m wondering if I dreamt this conversation in my head. Has anyone else heard about this oil and does it indeed contain cyanide?

I Googled Black Seed, and it’s Nigella Sativa (as opposed to Nigella Damascena which is what we have in our gardens) and has been used in cookery and in medicines in the East for years. It claims all sorts of health benefits. I couldn’t find any reference to Cyanide in it, but I wondered, if this is an oil extract, whether cyanide is used in the extraction process.

I used to have the undergraduate students investigating the properties of all sorts of 'natural products' on cells and bacteria and so was always trolling the Asian shops for weird (to me) things. We had to evacuate the lab when somebody was doing an extract from naga chillies and turmeric made everything they touched yellow. Black seeds were a favourite, manuka honey, bee pollen, grapefruit seed extract and clove oil both of which dissolved the plastic petri dishes.
I think all those things should be treated with extreme caution.

Right - I just got my forehead off the desk - the simple truth is if you don't eat the carbs you don't need to be looking around for a magic potion from some dodgy peddler to deal with the consequences.
These things are spoken of in fairy tales for a reason - we are supposed to heed the warnings.

If tgere is emough cyanide it will reduce your blood sugars. Permantantly. I'd avoid!

Cyanide is found in the following not extensive list:
Apples
Plums
Almonds
Peas
Beans (especially butter beans)
Maize
Pears
Cherries
Apricots

Cyanide is found in the following not extensive list:
Apples
Plums
Almonds
Peas
Beans (especially butter beans)
Maize
Pears
Cherries
Apricots
I believe it is the seeds of many of them and usually we discard their seeds or they are soaked before being cooked and eaten.

Sort of.
Some of them contain a compound that can turn into cyanide when digested (If the seed has been broken by chewing).
You'd have to eat a bucket load of them to get poisoned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back