Curry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wooluff

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello Community. Bit of a bombshell yesterday being diagnosed with type2 diabetes. I’m taking it slowly as it’s bit difficult to to digest in one hit, pun intended. I wonder if anyone has any good low carb curry book recommendations please. Im thinking of batch freezing foods that work, whilst introducing myself to healthy ‘alternatives’ that I might be unsure of. Thankyou.

Welcome @Wooluff 🙂 I don’t know about books, but if you’re looking to lower carbs, then having cauliflower ‘rice’ or reducing your portion of normal rice will help a lot. You could also avoid curries with significant amounts of potato in.

A normal chicken curry, say, has very few carbs. It’s adding loads of rice and naan bread that adds the carbs.

Welcome to the forum @Wooluff

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. And yes, it is quite common to feel overwhelmed and knocked sideways at the start.

I completely agree with @Inka - the curries themselves (especially if you are cooking from scratch) are fairly easy to adapt and tweak - particularly of you eat meat...

What you will need to recalibrate is what you eat them with - cauli ‘rice‘ is a great option, and perhaps mini-naan. Or maybe make your own mini flatbreads (surprisingly easy to do and very satisfying) - you could experiment with mixing lower carb flours like gram flour as part of the mix?

Just aim for more curry (which has all the flavour) and way less of the bland, beige ‘transport mechanism’ 😛

Thanks for your prompt replies.
I’m thinking if I can’t eat all the lovely accompaniments that go with curry like mango chutney, nan, rice etc than let’s find some amazing alternatives. Whilst I batch freeze curry now with cream!!!!!. I recently watched a programme called Recipes That Made Me (bbc I player) which had some interesting yummy suggestions. As I, and the rest of the family could eat curry 24/7 I was hoping that there might be books that make life easier. I’ve got a couple of keto books and have tried a few recipes over the years - bit hit and miss to be honest. But you can’t cry over curry!!

My favourite curry cookbooks are

Curry Club Indian Restaurant Cookbook: Over 150 restaurant-style recipes for you to make at home

and from further east

Amazing Malaysian: Recipes for Vibrant Malaysian Home-Cooking

You just have to adapt the recipes if they are heavy in carbs

My go to accompaniment for a curried meat dish is a dry vegetable curry.

Cooking from scratch is good because you can limit the starchy veg and increase the non starchy, play around with the spices and add water (rather than the high carb gravy used by most takeaways), to get a constituency that balances out a saucy meat curry.

Another alternative - had it last night with a chicken curry - is to fry some chopped onion and mushrooms in butter and when they are sweated down to stir in some ras-el-hamnout spice mix. When it's ready, add some prepared couscous and you are done.

Experiment has shown that my system can cope with a couple of level tablespoons of dry couscous steeped for a few minutes in enough boiling water to cover it. If you try this, then you might need to experiment to find what your ideal portion is.

Thank you again. I’ve just been to Mr Amazon and bought a couple of books. You recipes sound amazing Docb .....and have inspired me, I’ll certainly be useing them. Whilst there I also bought a book by Sarah Flower, Eating to Beat Type2 diabetes. I’m hoping this will enlighten me and help me negate the less obvious carbs, such as carrots.

I've made a lamb dhansak and veg curry from the Hairy Bikers eat your way out of diabetes cook book - use the spices suggested for the dhansak in the veg curry to give it a deeper flavour. It was very nice but lacked the depth of taste.

We all need to be especially aware of the Aloo content whilst being much in favour of the Sag and Gobi content! Can't in any way totally avoid onions - but 'some' carrot is hardly likely to instantly cause any of our legs to drop off. Test test test - and experiment with ingredients, BG monitor results and taste buds. We are ALL our own tame guinea pig!

Have fun and ENJOY!

Spicetice.com do a good range of dry spice mixes including curries, but you do have to add some of your own in ingredients like ginger and lemon as well as the meat or veg. As they are dry mixes they are low carb. You can get some of them on Amazon or in some of the garden centres with a food section but not the whole range.

Curries aren't they wonderful, but the naan breads, rice and in Italian food pasta carry huge CARB loadings.
Crumbed cauliflower has been mentioned as a rice sub and it is great. Simple to do just chop/grind your cauli florets down onto a oiled tray add some spice of choice and some finely chopped onion and pop it into your oven to cook/ brown it off.
You'll be surprised how unlike cauli and just like rice it is,

Best

Our favourite curry book is Madhur Jeffrey Indian Cooking.

We were on holiday once and our car was broken into. They stole Madhur Jeffrey and our other bible Nigel Slater 30 minute cook book. We have the carbs written in for most of the recipes in them as we use both books so often. Curries cooked from scratch don’t impact in the same way as takeaways as we control what goes into it, and can accurately calculate the carbs, adjusting the ingredients and portion size to our own targets carb limits.we just find we need to leave out the naan.

I'd have broken into your car to get those, but not your car, cos I had both and left em at my former marital home, same as I did all my sewing knitting and crocheting stuff. Also had all grandmas and mom's handwritten recipes, plus 30 years photos, buggrit.

Brings back happy memories of whole weekend days spent with Madhur Jaffrey recipes in early married life dry roasting and grinding spices and gradually building the flavours for an evening feast @SB2015 😛

Thanks everyone really helpful info.
ATM I’m trying to navigate my way round everything including the form!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back