Cure for Type 1 diabetes imminent after Harvard stem-cell breakthrough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A cure for diabetes could be imminent after scientists discovered how to make huge quantities of insulin-producing cells, in a breakthrough hailed as significant as antibiotics.

Harvard University has, for the first time, managed to manufacture the millions of beta cells required for transplantation.

It could mean the end of daily insulin injections for the 400,000 people in Britain living with Type 1 diabetes.

And it marks the culmination of 23-years of research for Harvard professor Doug Melton who has been trying to find a cure for the disease since his son Sam was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes as a baby.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/...ent-after-Harvard-stem-cell-breakthrough.html

Sounds promising! 🙂

I was just reading that before popping over to the boards. How fabulous would that be :D

Fingers arnt crossed there double double double knots 🙂 Hope 😎

wow!
an existence without injecting, testing, carb counting, hypos (to name a few)…..that would be amazing…..
x

Just seen it on BBC news briefly. Imagine how wonderful if it became available on nhs soon. Sounds like pie in the sky but who knows.

It's a step in the right direction, certainly. Which has got to be good. But a long way to go yet so I'll try not to get my hopes up too much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back