CT Scan & Libre

MarkGeordie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Just a quick one.

Im booked in for a CT Scan, will I have to take my Libre sensor off?

Pumper_Sue

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Just a quick one.

Read the info that came with the libre and the answer you will find or ring the help line. You would def have to take it off for and MRI.

Bruce Stephens

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
According to the US site https://www.freestylelibre.us/safety-information.html

The FreeStyle Libre 14 day Flash Glucose Monitoring System must be removed prior to Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), Computed Tomography (CT) scan, or high frequency electrical heat (diathermy) treatment. The effect of MRI, CT scans, or diathermy on the performance of the System has not been evaluated. The exposure may damage the Sensor and may impact proper function of the device which could cause incorrect readings.​

MarkGeordie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Ah thanks for that. Totally conflicts with what the radiology department has just told me on the telephone.

I’ll just remove it.

Robin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Ah thanks for that. Totally conflicts with what the radiology department has just told me on the telephone.

I’ll just remove it.
@mikeyB mentioned on the 7 day average thread that he’d had a CT scan and not taken his Libre sensor off, because they weren’t scanning his arms. I think it survived.

MarkGeordie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Appreciate the replies, I thought it would be good to ask just in case.

It wont be my arms they are scanning, so I will keep it on unless requested to take it off.

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I think the concern from Abbott would be that they have not tested it through these procedures and therefore cannot guarantee it's reliability after such exposure. I think it may well be fine to leave it on and use afterwards but may be wise to check it with a finger prick more frequently afterwards (ie for important decisions like boluses etc) to be safe.

martindt1606

Relationship to Diabetes
Other Type
Had a CT Scan 2 weeks ago on my lower torso - had to remove pump cannula (stomach) but not my G6 sensor / transmitter which was top of my right arm. It depends where something is and where they are scanning......and the radiologist.

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I had to remove my Libre for an MRI. It for anything else I have kept it in. I find the radiologists tend to give conflicting messages, and frequently tell me that the xrays won’t effect my pump. I tend to stick to what the manufacturer says and the advice from my consultant.

For a Libre I would definitely leave it in in the hopes that it will survive, as I would not want to waste any remaining days. I would then watch out on the levels after.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Isn't the filament that's actually in you, metal, on a libre? In which case if the Xray beams have to go anywhere near the 'patch' it won't be a good idea - same as having to remove earrings when having a chest Xray LOL

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The filament on the Libre is plastic so should not cause a problem. The actual gubbins in the sensor might be more of an issue. I have never been asked to remove earrings except for MRI when all metal has to be removed.

Flutterby

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
You definitely have to remove Libre for MRI but I didn't have libre when I had a CT so I don't know. I did leave my earrings in for CT though and worried afterwards!

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
My latest CT and MRI were for my head - I've had the results of the CT so at least they found some content between my earoles though the report only mentioned my blood vessels showed signs of age (how amazing when I'm 70; NOT)

Squirrel768

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Just a quick one.

Abbot sent me a new sensor to replace the one I would take off for my CT scan (talk to customer service). The CT department said it didn't need to come off for the scan (but would for an MRI) so they would have been happy to leave it in place (abdo scan, not arms anyway), but in accordance with Abbott guidance, I removed it after doing a last-minute scan. Then fitted the new one at home after. Seeing as it was my first sensor that I swapped, I wanted to play safe.

If only my GP surgery were as efficient at doing the prescription for the new sensors - were it not for the Abbot replacement, I would have been without a new one when my first one expired! 'Oh, it can take two seeks for a hospital prescription to be put on the system after we receive it'!!!!! Good job I chased it and had a moan!