Ct contrast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruthie14

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Had a Ct scan yesterday afternoon with contrast. My bloods this morning were higher than normal ( normally about a 6.7) but were 7.8 today. Diet hasn’t changed.could the increase be due to the contrast ?

I've had 4 CT scans in the last 2 yrs. Two have been absolutely fine, no noticeable MDI response needed. Two initially seemed fine, then after a few hrs have caused me to have to retreat to my bed and sleep for most of the next day; I very rarely am so ill that I need to do that. I've tried to find out exactly what the contrast agent is, after both events, without success.

Before any future scan I'll do some detective work and try to understand what causes this.

I've had 4 CT scans in the last 2 yrs. Two have been absolutely fine, no noticeable MDI response needed. Two initially seemed fine, then after a few hrs have caused me to have to retreat to my bed and sleep for most of the next day; I very rarely am so ill that I need to do that. I've tried to find out exactly what the contrast agent is, after both events, without success.

Before any future scan I'll do some detective work and try to understand what causes this.
This link may give you the info to help. https://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info/safety-contrast

Had a Ct scan yesterday afternoon with contrast. My bloods this morning were higher than normal ( normally about a 6.7) but were 7.8 today. Diet hasn’t changed.could the increase be due to the contrast ?
Ruthie14 - how many scans have you had before this one? It may be that the change is due to anxiety / nerves / worry / change of daily routine. For example for me its not just the contrast, its the 60 mile drive to the hospital, the worry I'll be late for the appointment, change to breakfast / lunch eating times because of the appointment time.... and that's before any later concern that the scans may not be NDC.

Thank you @Leadinglights . The link does help, in providing further explanation that I've been too lazy to research for myself (!). It is what makes this forum so useful, the willingness of others to offer suggestions.🙂

But each CT has been similar initially, each with an injection of a contrast material, each with the strange warm sensation, 2 at the same hospital (1x OK, 1 not OK), 2 from other hospitals (1 a mobile unit and not OK). So no glaring common denominator. However I have a growing list of things to follow up - even before NY resolutions - and fresh energy into trying to sell our house. Also, I need to contact my Oncologist before my Consult with some written questions in advance of that tele-consult later this month. Happily this task has its own priority.

I do find that trying to keep track of at least 3 current co-morbidities (what a depressing word that is!) from 2 Trusts in different Counties is a continuous challenge and yet I know if I don't try, no other HCP will grapple with this. I've lost all faith in my GP even wanting to help me navigate a way forward; their Reception will fend me off; and my latest GP letter told me to find my own solution for prescribing Dexcom One, since our ICS hasn't approved the no cost sensor options - with zero suggestions on exactly how, just generic negative answers. Still, thats another challenge to keep me occupied!

In answer to your question no the contrast does not affect blood sugars. I have a yearly MRI with contrast and there is never any problem. It's just a blip you will survive 🙂 Hope your results are ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back