Cruising travel insurance and diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bexlee

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi.

Does anyone have any experience of going on a cruise pre or post covid.

If so who did you get travel insurance with apparently it has to be cruise specific. It’s potentially to Norway.

Do I need to mention diabetes?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

I’ve no experience of using them, but this company seem to have an arrangement with Diabetes UK, so should have knowledge of diabetes? Might be worth including in your range of quotes?

I took out insurance with Allclear for a different sort of holiday recently, and noticed there was a question half way through, 'Are you going on a cruise' so I assume if you say 'Yes' they take you to cruise cover. I think it costs more, because if you’re taken ill or have an accident in the middle of the sea, you have to see the private doctor on board, and may need airlifting off!
I had to answer questions in the Medical Screening section about my diabetes, but it didn’t affect the price.

I had to answer questions in the Medical Screening section about my diabetes, but it didn’t affect the price.
I always find I need to pay a bit extra, but perhaps it's a combination of tachycardia, high blood pressure (controlled), and the high cholesterol (also controlled), and diabetes. But it's always a fairly modest addition so I don't worry about it. And maybe I should look at allclear next time.

I always find I need to pay a bit extra, but perhaps it's a combination of tachycardia, high blood pressure (controlled), and the high cholesterol (also controlled), and diabetes. But it's always a fairly modest addition so I don't worry about it. And maybe I should look at allclear next time.
As soon as I put in my husband's details, (non diabetic, but controlled high BP, and on statins and blood thinner) the price goes up for him.

Thumbs up for AllClear! Most companies don't like cruises and the States because of potential costs. Saying that a cruise Norway is not Mid-Atlantic!

I’ve no experience of using them, but this company seem to have an arrangement with Diabetes UK, so should have knowledge of diabetes? Might be worth including in your range of quotes?

Thanks @everydayupsanddowns dead easy to get quote ……and not massively expensive !

I have annual travel insurance with the Nationwide Flexplus account.
I've declared diabetes, there was a small premium, and cruise cover is an optional extra.

As soon as I put in my husband's details, (non diabetic, but controlled high BP, and on statins and blood thinner) the price goes up for him.

I was put on an ACE inhibitor to protect the kidneys folliwed a statin when I saw a vascular surgeon for PAD. My BP and cholesterol were never high but by taking these medications by default I suffer from high BP and raised cholesterol! Sad really!

I was put on an ACE inhibitor to protect the kidneys folliwed a statin when I saw a vascular surgeon for PAD. My BP and cholesterol were never high but by taking these medications by default I suffer from high BP and raised cholesterol! Sad really!
Now when I took out Allclear insurance the last couple of times, when I put in thatI take statins, it asked me the sensible question 'Has your Cholesterol ever been found to be raised?' Which it hasn’t. Maybe they're catching up with the trend to get everyone with Diabetes taking them regardless.

Hi.

If so who did you get travel insurance with apparently it has to be cruise specific. It’s potentially to Norway.

Tes you do vey much so. Best to think of everything you can think of healthwis as the Insurance Company will think of every loohole to avoid paying. Even if you go to Docs for advice put it down,You are signing a document that allows them to look at your medical history,

Have a lovely time on your Norrway Cruise It is Gorgeus. I have had 2 so far (with 14 Heailth declarations on my insurance)

Hi.

Go to a Price comparison website. You can save a fortune. Some of rge well known ones gharge redculas prices

Tes you do vey much so. Best to think of everything you can think of healthwis as the Insurance Company will think of every loohole to avoid paying. Even if you go to Docs for advice put it down,You are signing a document that allows them to look at your medical history,

Have a lovely time on your Norrway Cruise It is Gorgeus. I have had 2 so far (with 14 Heailth declarations on my insurance)

Yes, I heard of a case where a company tried (no idea if they succeeded or not) to get out of a claim saying the accident may have been the result of a hypo from undeclared diabetes!

Hi @Bexlee I have used a number of different insurance companies for cruise holidays. Always declare your diabetes and any other medical conditions you have. I use my NHS app record to look back. Some companies ask for 2 years history, some 5 and some all your history so do check.
The cover must include cruise cover which does cost extra, as Robin stated above it covers being air lifted from the ship (very rare but it does happen, i have cruised for many years and only had 2 instances of a passenger being air lifted off the ship).

I shop around getting a number of different quotes, I have been diabetic for over 12 years, but only just gone onto Metformin, the price wasn't affected by my diabetes when diet controlled. The questions will ask about medications and hospital admissions due to diabetes.
In last few years I have used Sainsbury's bank (claim was easy and paid in full) and Avanti.

In terms of cruses and Norway, I love it, been more than 6 times. Scenery is beautiful, and depending on which cruise line and ship you choose it can be quite and relaxing or have lots of choices for things to do both in ports and on the ship. Family love it too, kids find lots to do on the ship. ( Can you tell I love a cruise)

I am glad that aI read this thread.

We are off up the Norway coast and on to Svalbard. We have annual cover and there has never been mention of cruises as far as I remember. Perhaps it is not an issue in smaller boats, and applies to that ocean going cruises, she says hopefully.

Our insurance is also with Nationwide, and I pay a premium. It is based on the number of meds you are taking, as well as any referrals to hospital that you have unresolved.

I am glad that aI read this thread.

We are off up the Norway coast and on to Svalbard. We have annual cover and there has never been mention of cruises as far as I remember. Perhaps it is not an issue in smaller boats, and applies to that ocean going cruises, she says hopefully.

Our insurance is also with Nationwide, and I pay a premium. It is based on the number of meds you are taking, as well as any referrals to hospital that you have unresolved.

It's definitely an addition.
We have the same, and I checked the policy booklet this morning.
Page 41

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back