Cruise advise - Re: Insulin

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubygirl

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone,
I am going on my first Med Cruise in August and wondered if anyone had any advise for Diabetics going abroad. Especially about caring for your Insulin etc.
Many Thanks
rubygirl :confused:

Lots of people will suggest Frio packs, but as long as you keep your insulin (and meter, strips etc) out of direct sunlight, away from engines etc, it should be fine. There will be a medical room on the ship, so you could ask about keeping insulin in their fridge. Personally, I prefer a small stainless steel vaccuum flask as it offers more physical protection against knocks as well as temperature extremes - it will have to be empty of water for hand luggage if flying, but as the insulin will be straight out of fridge, the flask primed with cool water and then closed, that's no problem. I've never been on a cruise ship - plenty of ferries, a couple of HMSs, lots of canoes & kayaks, but no cruise ships, so no other suggestions I can make.
Make sure you have appropriate travel insurance and a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) for EEC countries.

Cruise advise - Re Insulin

Many thanks for your advise. The use of a flask sounds a good idea to me.

What is the European Health Insuranse card though????

Hi

When we cruised last year we had a small fridge in our cabin. I wasn't diagnosed last year so was eating what I liked but apparently I have now been told its worth telling the company you are booked with that you are diabetic as apparently they will do special sauces/desserts etc. Enjoy your cruise 🙂

Last edited:
Cruise advice - Re Insulin

Yes! my daughter went on the same Cruise ship last year and she had a small drinks fridge. Will be handy to keep my Insulin in.

Will definately let the Cruise people know I am Diabetic.....don't want to miss out on any sauses or desserts they can supply me with.

Many Thanks!
rubygirl 😎

hi ruby, the european medical insurance card is the one that tells anyone who needs to know that you are a european citizen and therefore can be treated at a hospital in an emergency, without having to pay anything up front.

(i think that's right?)

Cruise advise - Re:Insulin

Do you or anyone else know how one gets a European Health Insurance card. As it sounds like something I should have.

Cheers!
rubygirl

Many thanks for your advise. The use of a flask sounds a good idea to me.

What is the European Health Insuranse card though????

YOU HAVE TO GO TO THE POST OFFICE TO APPLY FOR IT OR SOMETIMES there is an advert on the box where you having the passport pictures done

Cruise advise - Re Insulin

Hi Donald & Daniela,

Many thanks for your advise. I have now applied online for the E.H.Insurance Card for my husband and myself. It was FREE and we should receive it in 7 days time.

Your help invaluable.
rubygirl :D

Hi Donald & Daniela,

Many thanks for your advise. I have now applied online for the E.H.Insurance Card for my husband and myself. It was FREE and we should receive it in 7 days time.

Your help invaluable.
rubygirl :D

Great glad you got sorted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back