Cross contamination

Status
Not open for further replies.

rembrandt

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi i'm new to this message board and would like to hear from anyone who has experienced contamination of glucogel / dextrogel upon storing this medication for treatment of hypo's.Mine along with many other people's I assume will have been stored in a medical box containing various medicines painkillers etc.When i needed one i picked one out and nearly vomited the taste was horrendous like taking a massive overdose of various medicines.Is it just me or is it a common problem with hypostop gels thanks😱

Hi rembrandt, welcome to the forum 🙂 I haven't experienced what you are asking about personally, but I have it on good authority from others that glucogel tastes pretty awful. Personally, I prefer jelly babies or fresh orange juice for hypo treatments.

Never heard about that before but glucogel does taste disgusting mind you. Only my daughter seems to like it, most others hate the taste.

Did it taste different from normal, is that what you are saying?

contamination

Hi what i mean is be careful where you store these for some reason the glucose seems to be absorbing any odour in close proxcimity all i could taste was a revolting bitterness and put it down to the tablets and other medicines stored in the same box thanks for asking

I don't mind it at all. It's rare that someone likes it. I'm one of the odd few. I don't think that something in a plastic tube could absorb the odour of other medication.

I don't mind it at all. It's rare that someone likes it. I'm one of the odd few. I don't think that something in a plastic tube could absorb the odour of other medication.

I got my Glucogel in the spring and have used it just once- it's not nice at all yuk😱Sheena

Glucogel is disgusting, I can confirm, from the one and only time my partner tried to help and give me some when I was half asleep - he tasted it himself, agreed with my opinion and found some sweets on the windowsill where I'd left them. Actually, so long ago, it was called Hypostop.
However, any food in a plastic container can take up tastes from surrounding environment - as an experiment, try storing a bottle of water next to an onion, tied together in a plastic bag. So, it's quite possible for a Glucogel gel to take up tastes from medicines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back