Critical Illness/Life Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

William Vowles

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have just bought my first property and am looking for critical illness/life insurance. Does anyone have any recommendations as the companies I have contacted so far won't do it?

I have just bought my first property and am looking for critical illness/life insurance. Does anyone have any recommendations as the companies I have contacted so far won't do it?

Hello there William. Well done on stepping onto the property ladder.

Life houses will, unfortunately, initially view you are carrying an additional risk to them, but depending on your personal circumstances, you should probably be able to achieve life cover. Whether you can find anyone offering critical illness cover, competitively, might be a bit challenging.

If you are newly diagnosed, you might find getting almost any cover a bit of a challenge, as the underwritiers will usually want to look at a bit of track record.

You might find this link interesting. https://www.criticalillness.org.uk/... having diabetes can,which may lead to stroke

I have absolutely nothing to do with this organisation, and in fact hadn't heard of them before. I was expecting a different top result!

Good luck with it all.

They appear to be insurance brokers, but who do seem to have a pretty well informed website. They list which insurance companies they deal with at the bottom of the web page.

Personally, I would want to know whether the firm are members of a professional organisation, before dealing with them myself. But the website doesn't have an 'About us' tab to click.

Welcome to the forum @William Vowles

Congratulations on your new home 🙂

There was a summary document about insurance circulated from Diabetes UK last year which may have some helpful guidance. I’ve snipped the following:

Insurance

Most people with diabetes will have encountered difficulties arranging some form of insurance at some time. Diabetes UK cannot provide specific advice or recommend a particular insurer. So individuals should be directed to consult an independent financial or other professional advisor. The British Insurance Brokers Association (BIBA) is a general insurance organisation representing the interests of insurance brokers, intermediaries and their customers. It has a "Find-A-Broker" service which helps people who need non-standard insurance to find a suitable BIBA broker who can help with "tailored" insurance policies. The website and advice line details can be found in the External Links section below.

The Diabetes UK webpage - Insurance and diabetes contains general information to assist people with diabetes in obtaining insurance. It covers the types of insurance listed below. Travel insurance is covered in more detail on the webpage - Travel insurance which also includes a link to AllClear Insure My Diabetes.

Diabetes UK works with AllClear Insuremydiabetes who offer the widest possible coverage both in terms of age criteria and for people with long term conditions such as diabetes. We would however always recommend that you shop around as DUK cannot guarantee that they will be the cheapest.

The types of insurance covered in the Diabetes UK webpage - Insurance and diabetes are:

• Travel insurance
  • Motor Insurance
  • Insurance/assurance for loans and life
  • Private medical health insurance
  • Hospital cash insurance
The remainder of this Key Information Document covers issues not included on the webpage

Discrimination

The Equality Act 2010 contains the principles that service providers should follow in their treatment of people with disabilities. Whilst many people with diabetes do not consider themselves as having a disability, there will be cases where they will be covered by the definition of disability. Disability discrimination law does not work on the principle of treating everyone the same but rather that, in many situations, people with a disability have to be treated more favourably to ensure equal treatment.

In general, insurance providers are not allowed to discriminate against people with disabilities. However, they can treat people differently if there is a greater insurance risk because of a disability or health condition. So they can legitimately take account of a disability or health condition to decide whether to offer insurance and the terms on which it is offered.

Insurers must base their risk assessments on information from a reliable source and one which is relevant to the product they are providing. So, whilst it may be lawful to offer travel or life insurance on different terms to someone with diabetes, it is unlikely that it would be lawful to use a different basis for a home contents insurance quotation.

An insurance provider can be challenged if it appears that the risk assessment is not based on a reliable or relevant source of information.

The Equality Act applies in England, Scotland, and Wales, but not in Northern Ireland, where the Disability Discrimination Act still applies. Help & advice with discrimination issues in Northern Ireland can be found on the Equality Commission for Northern Ireland website.

Diabetes UK Links

Insurance and Diabetes - https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Life-with-diabetes/Insurance

Service Providers And Diabetes Advocacy Pack - https://www.diabetes.org.uk/resources-s3/2017-09/01066AA%20Advocacy%20pack_Service%20providers%20V2.pdf (page 8)

External Links

British Insurance Brokers Association (BIBA):

Advice Line: (Find a Broker Service) 0370 950 1790 9am to 5:30pm, Monday to Friday

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back