Criteria for bariatric surgery should consider more than just patient's weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Experts at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center and 45 worldwide scientific and medical societies pushed for change to the national guidelines that would allow more patients with the chronic diseases of obesity and diabetes to be eligible for bariatric surgery at the 2019 Annual Minimally Invasive Surgery Symposium by Global Academy for Medical Education.

Obesity affects almost 40% of the population -- or about 93 million adults -- in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

As chronic obesity worsens, it comes not only with complications of diabetes, but may also include heart disease and cancer. And just like with any other chronic disease, the best course of action is early intervention, such as bariatric surgery, said Dr. Stacy Brethauer, a surgeon at Ohio State Wexner Medical Center's Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/07/190709141232.htm

It strikes me that if you don't address the reasons why so many in the population are obese then all you end up with is a constant round of surgical solutions long into the foreseeable future. Maybe that's what the researchers were instructed to discover 🙄

Aye, as I’m losing weight using the simple expedient of eating less, I tend to agree with your comment. It’s not rocket science, for sure.

The old adage to try using your gob less and your legs more always was correct - I've always reiterated that advice and now I have modern medical proof! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back