Crippling Condition Associated With Diabetes Is Often Misdiagnosed and Misunderstood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Robert Winkler says he limped around on his painful left foot for six months, suffering unnecessarily from a misdiagnosis by a physician who didn't know about the symptoms and treatments for Charcot foot, a form of localized osteoporosis linked to diabetes that causes the bones to soften and break, often resulting in amputation.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/09/110901135024.htm

Robert Winkler says he limped around on his painful left foot for six months, suffering unnecessarily from a misdiagnosis by a physician who didn't know about the symptoms and treatments for Charcot foot, a form of localized osteoporosis linked to diabetes that causes the bones to soften and break, often resulting in amputation.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/09/110901135024.htm

Thanks for highlighting this Northerner. I have had diabetes for decades. It seemed more common when I was young and spoken about in hushed tones when I attended clinics. Waiting with mum amonst people with amputations and white sticks was scary! I was convinced I would die young and indeed some did! Things seem to improve in the mid-eighties as home BG monitoring became more common place but it recent years - maybe as diabetics become longer lived.

It seems to me that it occurs mainly in long term Type I and those with Type 2 that were undignosed for a long period. As I have some circulation and nerve problems I mentioned the possability to my GP. He was fairly dismissive of it occuring but I also felt he knew next to nothing about the condition.

This is a "must read" for all forum members!

As a newby diagnosed with type 2 I must admit these stories, although relevant, scare the life out of me. I am very mindful of constantly checking my feet and will continue to do so. Amanda

If you have tootsie problems that aren't quickly cleared up by a weeks worth of eg Canesten etc cream (for athlete's foot) then ask to see a podiatrist.

If GP won't refer you on NHS then get your wallet out. It doesn't cost very much and these days nobody not properly qualified can advertise themselves as a podiatrist so you should be safe. Ask when ringing if they are used to seeing diabetic patients and if not, opt to go somewhere else.

It's well worth the small expenditure to know you are OK. Or get a proper diagnosis if you aren't !

If you have tootsie problems that aren't quickly cleared up by a weeks worth of eg Canesten etc cream (for athlete's foot) then ask to see a podiatrist.

If GP won't refer you on NHS then get your wallet out. It doesn't cost very much and these days nobody not properly qualified can advertise themselves as a podiatrist so you should be safe. Ask when ringing if they are used to seeing diabetic patients and if not, opt to go somewhere else.

It's well worth the small expenditure to know you are OK. Or get a proper diagnosis if you aren't !

The first thing I did when diagnosed was book with a qualified podiatrist/chiropidist who did a diabetic assessment of my feet - only cost ?25 and I thought if I have my feet checked by a podiatrist via the GP then I can have 2 checks per year and it will still only cost ?25.00. Same with my eye's Specsavers cost ?20 for a retinal check which included photographs. Taking control was the best thing I did for myself. Amanda 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back