Creepy-crawlies may help heal diabetes wounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Researchers from Hawaii have a suggestion for how to jump-start the healing of difficult diabetic wounds: let maggots do the work.

To allow such wounds to heal, doctors remove infected or dead tissue with scalpels or enzymes, a process they call debridement.

But these tools often fail, said Dr. Lawrence Eron from Kaiser Hospital and the University of Hawaii in Honolulu.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/09/23/us-diabetes-wounds-idUSTRE78M6SD20110923

Ok, the removal of dead tissue ok...but maggots?! Am sorry but eww no.

Some hospitals here use em. They also use Manuka honey - know a T2 guy who had 2 toes off (for all the usual time worn reasons) and they used it on him because he gets ulcers and stuff, says it's marvellous. Plus - where say you've lost the tip of a finger and they re-attach but is dying, they've had very good results using leeches - they draw the blood up the capillaries, the blood supply ebnables the nerves to heal ... marvellous!

It sounds revolting yes, but skin ulcers are equally revolting plus they stink (rotting flesh) - so what the hell? - I'd try it - even though they disgust me! (how could anyone be so unlucky as to get consecutive husbands who like to go fishing?)

...(how could anyone be so unlucky as to get consecutive husbands who like to go fishing?)

A fisherman friend of mine used to put the maggots in his mouth so that they would wriggle more when they hit the cold water...😱

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back