crazy lately!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lo123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Lately my blood sugar seems to be really high the last few weeks. Like this evening i had 2 tortillas and now my blood is 16! This morning i woke up my blood was 6, about an hour later it was 14 and i didnt even eat anything. Last night, i ate shepards pie, nothing crazy, and my blood was 19!!! Im not doing much exercise lately - would that be why? im so scared im doing loads of damage to myself even though i dont eat much junk food at all. One more thing - i can't eat anything for my breakfast anymore - just one egg, no bread nothing, or else it goes high again. What is wrong?

It might be you are not very active. I was advised to keep an activity log and see if I can match it with the highs and lows.

It may also pay to talk to the practice nurse or DSN, often someone who is not so close to the problem can see possible solutions.

When you are active and exercising you increase your insulin sensitivity, so if you stop then you quickly lose this and will need mroe insulin than previously so that could account for your increased needs.

The weather has recently changed and got alot colder, alot of people expereince a shift as we go into winter and then again in the spring.

Do you carb count and adjust your insulin to what you are eating? If so you might want to check your ratios.

Hope you can work it out

thanks for replies. I adjust my insulin for meals so its usually about 6 units of novorapid. And then lantus at night is 12 uniits. Like this morning for example my blood was about 5.6 at 6.30am, great. I didnt eat until 11.00am and when i checked my blood at 11.00am it was 12.7! And i had eaten nothing. I find it strange. I think i need to hit the gym again :(

thanks for replies. I adjust my insulin for meals so its usually about 6 units of novorapid. And then lantus at night is 12 uniits. Like this morning for example my blood was about 5.6 at 6.30am, great. I didnt eat until 11.00am and when i checked my blood at 11.00am it was 12.7! And i had eaten nothing. I find it strange. I think i need to hit the gym again :(

This is probably because you hadn't eaten anything. Your liver will normally release glucose into the blood early in the morning to get you ready for the day. Paradoxically, it is thought that sometimes this will 'switch off' if you eat breakfast, and your breakfast fast-acting insulin will deal with the food you have eaten so you will stay in range! If you don't eat breakfast, the mechanism continues to increase your levels as the morning progresses. Try just having a slice of toast or a weetabix - doesn't have to be much.🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back