Craving carbs - avoiding giving in

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBuzz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
Hi everyone, I'm only recently diagnosed with type 2 and have begun a lower carb diet - I'm slowly reducing the carbs down further as I go but wanted to see how I got on at a moderate reduction and still have space to go if I needed to. There's been a few times when I've really craved more carbs - usually in the evening and often something that's a bit sugary as well. I'd love to keep it all out the house so I can't get tempted, but with a young family that's not an easy option. There's also been a few times when I've given in and then ended up eating a lot more of it than I planned to as well. So this morning I've written myself a list of things I can do when those cravings come, to hopefully avoid the temptation and keep myself on track. I thought I'd share them here in case anyone else could do with some ideas - please add your own too.

Here they are, in no particular order:
  • Have a cup of tea instead (decaf for me, but could be any kind)
  • Brush my teeth so I have the taste of mint in my mouth instead, or chew some gum.
  • Go for a walk
  • Do some other kind of exercise at home like push ups/squats, kettlebells, yoga etc.
  • Have a large drink of water
  • Do something else distracting like having a shower, getting ready for bed (if it's the evening, which it usually is for me), doing some puzzles like sudoku that are difficult enough to distract.
  • Just go to bed if it's late.
  • Keep some low carb snack ready in the house, like hard boiled eggs, nuts, cottage cheese etc. Have one of those.
  • Do something relaxing like reading a book, meditating, etc.

Looks like a great list with lots of options for different situations.

The only thing I would add.... not to the list as such but just to include more fat in your meals if you aren't already. Fat helps to keep the hunger pangs at bay and slows down the digestion of any carbs you do eat, which means you get less of a spike then crash which is often what causes the cravings. I say this because you mention cottage cheese rather than hard cheese which tends to have more fat and protein. Of course, cottage cheese may just be your preference when it comes to cheese (personally I don't find it appealing at all). I have a selection of really nice cheeses so that they are a treat rather than just a stop gap and maybe have a small glass of red wine with it if you like it, so that it becomes a special treat rather than just something you are doing to distract from the craving.

For me increasing my fat intake was the turning point that made low carb sustainable for me..... and I was a sugar addict and Olympic standard comfort eater pre-diagnosis, so it was a big dietary U-turn for me and willpower only lasts so long, so I had to find a way to make it so that I wasn't battling the cravings all the time and this worked for me.

That is a handy list MrBuzz. I use many of those techniques. Thank you for sharing

Looks like a great list with lots of options for different situations.

The only thing I would add.... not to the list as such but just to include more fat in your meals if you aren't already. Fat helps to keep the hunger pangs at bay and slows down the digestion of any carbs you do eat, which means you get less of a spike then crash which is often what causes the cravings. I say this because you mention cottage cheese rather than hard cheese which tends to have more fat and protein. Of course, cottage cheese may just be your preference when it comes to cheese (personally I don't find it appealing at all). I have a selection of really nice cheeses so that they are a treat rather than just a stop gap and maybe have a small glass of red wine with it if you like it, so that it becomes a special treat rather than just something you are doing to distract from the craving.

For me increasing my fat intake was the turning point that made low carb sustainable for me..... and I was a sugar addict and Olympic standard comfort eater pre-diagnosis, so it was a big dietary U-turn for me and willpower only lasts so long, so I had to find a way to make it so that I wasn't battling the cravings all the time and this worked for me.
Thank you. I totally get what you mean re the cheese, I love cheese in pretty much any variety. But I’m still adjusting to the low carb mindset, and find it hard to shake the fat is bad message that’s so prevalent! I’m working on it though.

I’ve had success with low carb in the past - but need to lose a bit of weight again now after letting it all slide. I don’t have carb cravings so much as 4 o’clock cake cravings. It’s maddening and nothing else will really do, its not even hunger. I tend to have a cuppa around then and have been having a piece of fruit but I would definitely prefer a hunk of cake. At least I have lost about 1lb this week so somethings working.

I’ve had success with low carb in the past - but need to lose a bit of weight again now after letting it all slide. I don’t have carb cravings so much as 4 o’clock cake cravings. It’s maddening and nothing else will really do, its not even hunger. I tend to have a cuppa around then and have been having a piece of fruit but I would definitely prefer a hunk of cake. At least I have lost about 1lb this week so somethings working.
Well done on not giving in and starting to lose the weight again. It's hard work isn't it. Whilst it was never a daily occurrence I'm now at a month without eating cake/chocolate etc which must be the longest I've ever gone.

I know I need to sort myself out and the list provided by @MrBuzz is as was previously said very helpful. What I find difficult is the motivation to do anything exercise wise. Even finding the energy for a short walk. The other thing for me is diet, I have a terrible sweet tooth but have that under control at the moment. However, I’m not a veg or salad person, not overly keen on fish which doesn’t leave a lot of choice. Sorry didn’t mean to hijack the thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back