Covid19, covid vaccine and type 1 diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

type1mess

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

Im new to the forum but have been a type 1 diabetic for about 17 years now and have developed boat loads of problems mainly after covid and vaccine, now have extreme tiredness, maculopathy, msk issues relating to my neck and also waiting for treatment for frozen shoulder which came on 7 months ago, other shoulder is starting to do it now aswell, has anyone any similar stories ? Am I missing something ?

Welcome @type1mess Sorry to hear about your problems. I had (and still have to a lesser extent) a bad shoulder. When it was at its worst, it caused awful neck pain, nausea and vertigo, so a bad shoulder can really affect surrounding areas.

A frozen shoulder does take a while to ‘unfreeze’. I think @everydayupsanddowns had one and talked about stages. Others here have had them too. Sadly, they’re more common with diabetes.

One thing re the tiredness: have you had your Vitamin D checked, have you had a recent coeliac screen and thyroid test, and have you tried appropriate top up vitamins?

Welcome to the forum @type1mess

Sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing. I’ve never had any trouble with covid vaccines or boosters, but I have had a frozen shoulder on both sides - fortunately mine took it in turns. It’s not uncommon with diabetes as elevated and irregular BG levels can inflame joints and tendons making it more likely.

The physio my GP referred me to was the one who talked about stages. Apparently frozen shoulder tends to develop in three stages of equal length. Getting stiffer, being stiff, getting easier. Mine were about 9 months each on the left, and about 6 months each on the right.

I decided against a steroid injection as it wasn’t clear how much relief it would offer, or for how long, and steroids come with the high chance of BG chaos.

So I just waited mine out both times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back