• People with diabetes are currently being contacted to receive the Covid-19 vaccine. Should you have any questions about how this might affect your blood sugar levels, then call our Helpline for support and information on managing your diabetes at this time.Updates: Coronavirus and diabetes
  • Are you currently doing less than 30 mins physical activity per week and would like support to help you move more? Get in touch with our Physical Activity Helpline here

Covid vaccines and a sense of perspective

Alannah

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Understandable that people have questions and some are eager to be vaccinated for all manner of reasons, but there are over 7 million people in group 6. Whatever way you dice it, they can't vaccinate all of those people in one go, so there needs to be staggered emails/letters. Regardless, we are talking about a matter of a very few weeks until all in group 6 are have 1 dose. A phenomenal achievement on the part of the NHS, not to mention the scientists who have developed the vaccines. Worldwide, only about a 100 million people have been vaccinated, about 16m in the UK. Diabetes sucks, but in this moment (leaving aside the wonder of the NHS and everything it does in ordinary times), we are immensely lucky and privileged to have such a high position in the queue, so let's maybe take a moment to be thankful for that?

Ditto

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I'm very thankful, I feel quite relieved now I've had the jab. I'm amazed that it's all happened so quickly. Our NHS is great, we need to save it!

helli

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have not had my jab yet but not panicking or chasing - as you mentioned, tier 6 (the group I am in due to diabetes) is the largest group so far so I expect it to take some time.
I may re-evaluate my position if I have not heard by the end of March but for now, I am continuing to work form home, avoid mixing with too many people and washing my hands thoroughly when I go out or handle anything from outside the house.

Last edited:

Bruce Stephens

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
as you mentioned, tier 6 (the group I am in due to diabetes) is the largest group so far so I expect it to take some time.
They're giving close to 3 million first doses a week, so it would be surprising if it took much more than a month.

Anitram

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Our household includes a Sainsbury's worker so I am more than relieved to have had my first dose. Although I've always been extremely careful, and have always followed the rules, there was always the risk that he could inadvertently bring it home. Puts his mind at rest too, of course.

Sally71

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
I’m just looking forward to getting some sort of normality back, whenever that may be. Hubby and I are late 40s/mid 50s with no underlying health conditions so we’ll be right at the back of the queue. I work part time in a school but I don’t think that will bump me up the queue at all. My daughter won’t get a vaccine at all I don’t think, because they aren’t licensed for under 16s. Age may be in her favour, but type 1 diabetes is not!

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I’m just looking forward to getting some sort of normality back, whenever that may be. Hubby and I are late 40s/mid 50s with no underlying health conditions so we’ll be right at the back of the queue. I work part time in a school but I don’t think that will bump me up the queue at all. My daughter won’t get a vaccine at all I don’t think, because they aren’t licensed for under 16s. Age may be in her favour, but type 1 diabetes is not!
They have started to do some research on young age group having the vaccine.

Bruce Stephens

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hubby and I are late 40s/mid 50s with no underlying health conditions so we’ll be right at the back of the queue.
Everyone over 50 is supposed to get an invite before mid April and all adults by the end of July. (I think the ordering of people after mid April hasn't been decided. I'd guess it'll mostly be by age but I think they ought to broaden the factors a bit, which might mean that 40-49 might end up not being next.)

(As @grovesy says, they're testing on under 16 people. I imagine the vaccines will be safe and provoke a suitable immune reaction in people under 16.)

Freddie1966

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I had mine on Sunday the way everything was organised was so impressive. I wasn’t driving so was in and out in 5 minutes. It really was incredible

Leadinglights

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
They have started to do some research on young age group having the vaccine.
Hopefully they will find vaccines are very safe for the young people, when you think about it they have far more vaccines in their early years which are safe. Us oldies rarely have a vaccine. If it allows a whole generation to get back to a normal life, the sooner the better.
When I was a kid there was a polio scare and some cases of smallpox but nothing like this.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
.... and lots of cases of TB too when we were young. I remember having to go for a chest Xray when I was 7 to investigate why I had such dreadful heavy colds basically from Oct-Mar inclusive and at that time there was a specific Chest Clinic to which I was sent, my mother hated it and so did I, because the waiting room was crammed with old folk coughing and wheezing, midwinter so no ventilation, she was ordered to remove my clothing down to my vest and I was perished ...... (cos they didn't issue instructions politely in those days)

She complained vociferously to our GP and everyone else for months. They didn't close the place until many years later. In the industrial West Midlands about the only chest disease that probably wasn't represented in there would have been anthrax.

The things you can be vaccinated against, are ALL far far worse that the vaccinations!