Covid vaccine - high sugar for weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisT2

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, has anyone else experienced (or heard of anyone else) suffering from prolonged high sugars after the vaccine? After the first jab it took me three weeks to get things back on track and it’s been more than double that time (and counting) to fix things since the second dose.
Thanks
Chris

I think the reaction to covid and the vaccine has been very varied.
Since my second jab, in May, my levels have been much lower. As I treat my diabetes with insulin, I notice I have been more sensitive to insulin and need about 20% less insulin to avoid hypos.

Have you been out and about more since your jab and, potentiall, picked up something else which can affect your levels or changed your behaviour in any way?

I found that my basal insulin needs almost doubled over a period of 3 months after the first jab after an initial few days of unpredictable highs and lows but thankfully then levelled out and dropped a bit. Still need significantly more insulin now than I did in January though so no where near back down to pre vaccine levels. The second jab didn't seem to have any significant impact. I had the AZ vaccine. Must confess I am not looking forward to my booster, especially if it is a different "brand" as they suggested it would be as I am a little concerned it will disrupt things again.

Of course I cannot prove that the vaccine was responsible for the rise in my basal insulin needs so this is purely speculation on my part.

Yes, I had the two covid vaccinations in April this year, and afterwards found that my blood glucose readings rose from being in the 5s and 6s to being in the 7s and 8s. And I cannot get them down despite following a low carb diet.

But @AngelSprings - are you sure that your body has not simply crossed the line from being 'at risk of diabetes' to actually having diabetes anyway - ie would have done that with or without a vaccination? When are you next due to have an HbA1c test?

It is certainly true that bits of us wear out and don't function as well as they once did, as we get older - and though much is said about remission these days - it may not be possible for everyone.

I think there are many reasons that people cross that magic line that gets them the diagnosis of diabetic from being prediabetic or at risk. Not just age.
In my case I think it was a combination of factors, when I retired I was dong much less exercise on a regular basis so put on weight, being at home the slice of cake with the afternoon cuppa, being very stressed about the implications of Covid on my family who work on the front line in the NHS so I was not sleeping well., and just a gradual increase in the carby part of meals. It is easy to ignore the reality of what had been happening but once diagnosed I was determined to get a grip and change the diet as I did not want to have to take metformin.
I can honestly say the low carb route has been no hardship and I enjoy the meals and way of eating. Having home grown vegetables and fruit helps as they are so much tastier than shop bought.

Hi trophywench

I take your point that inevitably as we age bits of us wear out and do not function so efficiently.

However, just prior to having the two Pfizer vaccinations in April I'd managed by low carbing to reduce my HbA1c down from 45 to 42. Then not long after having the vaccinations I was hit with awful fibromyalgia in my lower back, pelvic area, hips, knees, and walking and getting in and out of the car became a nightmare, and my blood glucose rose to 49. And despite low carbing my blood glucose readings are now usually in the 7s, 8s, and 9s.

Whether developing the fibromyalgia and blood glucose levels rising were purely coincidental and not related to the vaccinations I cannot say, but the timing was so close that it made me conjecture whether there was a link.

I did write about this in another post and a moderator kindly suggested that perhaps a bit of medication might help, and when I put this to the diabetic nurse she informed that Metformin can damage the kidneys in the older person, and that I should not test my blood glucose levels on a daily basis, And that readings of 7s, 8s, and 9s were not really anything to be worried about.

So this is the current situation. I'm due to have another blood test on Monday, and I'm not looking forward to hearing the diabetic nurse again telling me not to test my blood glucose levels, and informing me to include carbs like porridge, potatoes, etc in my diet. But perhaps I'm worrying needlessly!

Hi trophywench

I take your point that inevitably as we age bits of us wear out and do not function so efficiently.

However, just prior to having the two Pfizer vaccinations in April I'd managed by low carbing to reduce my HbA1c down from 45 to 42. Then not long after having the vaccinations I was hit with awful fibromyalgia in my lower back, pelvic area, hips, knees, and walking and getting in and out of the car became a nightmare, and my blood glucose rose to 49. And despite low carbing my blood glucose readings are now usually in the 7s, 8s, and 9s.

Whether developing the fibromyalgia and blood glucose levels rising were purely coincidental and not related to the vaccinations I cannot say, but the timing was so close that it made me conjecture whether there was a link.

I did write about this in another post and a moderator kindly suggested that perhaps a bit of medication might help, and when I put this to the diabetic nurse she informed that Metformin can damage the kidneys in the older person, and that I should not test my blood glucose levels on a daily basis, And that readings of 7s, 8s, and 9s were not really anything to be worried about.

So this is the current situation. I'm due to have another blood test on Monday, and I'm not looking forward to hearing the diabetic nurse again telling me not to test my blood glucose levels, and informing me to include carbs like porridge, potatoes, etc in my diet. But perhaps I'm worrying needlessly!
I took carbs out of my diet and couldn’t do the toilet. It was. Suggested I bring them back in and I’m doing much better. I had stopped losing weight despite dieting and I’m now back on track again. I have long term fibromyalgia but doctors now blame everything I have on it and it’s not always the case. I had terrible shoulder pain for years and ended up with 2 emergency operations on my shoulders During the height of Covid infections . They couldn’t do the ops at the same time but had to let one recover before the other. I had rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder with 4 anchors and left shoulder a bone scrape for bursitis. Surgeon was furious I wasn’t believed and terrible pain for so long. I was diagnosed in June and 2019 my BG was normal but I now have type 2 I never considered the vaccine but there’s another thread going on it. I am questioning however, if it’s been a course of HRT I was given for about 6 months despite me telling them I had liver failure when I was young with hormones. I do however have to confess to eating huge amounts of sweets during lockdown and ordered them off Amazon. My weight had gone up and it never really bothered me till one day I looked in the mirror and didn’t like what I seen. The diagnosis of type 2 has given me a push to lose weight despite having mobility problems. I hope you feel better soon from fibro . It’s no fun. My surgical checkup has been cancelled for 7 months until spring 2022. I was looking forward to seeing him as he’s keeping an eye on me . Oh well !

Hi jeannewtte1

My heart goes out to you, because you've really been through the mill with fibromyalgia and the terrible shoulder pain. It takes away the joy of living when one is in constant pain.

I, too, had a rotator cuff injury perhaps 18 months ago, just by stretching up, and decided against surgery in favour of seeing if it would heal naturally, and it did. Thank goodness.

Keep up with attempting to lose weight, plenty of good protein and above the ground vegetables, and go easy on those sweets!

Take care and best wishes.

Hi trophywench

I have also had something occur that MAY be linked. I am going to get blood's done before and after any further jabs. Not sure if there would be any value in you doing the same, I suspect not, but just a thought.

Hi Flutterby

The whole experience has made me very apprehensive about having the booster jab which is to be offered. I feel caught between the devil and the deep blue sea. Will having it create more health problems? But there again do I want Covid? And was it the Pfizer jab that actually caused the flare-up of all the pain and the rise in blood glucose levels? It's hard to say. It would be interesting to see statistics of the side effects other people experienced, but I doubt this information will be released to the general public.

Don't misunderstand me, I think the vaccines played a hugely beneficial role in saving the lives of many people, and I'm grateful for this. However, I am left with the dilemma do I take the risk of having the booster jab?

Hi jeannewtte1

My heart goes out to you, because you've really been through the mill with fibromyalgia and the terrible shoulder pain. It takes away the joy of living when one is in constant pain.

I, too, had a rotator cuff injury perhaps 18 months ago, just by stretching up, and decided against surgery in favour of seeing if it would heal naturally, and it did. Thank goodness.

Keep up with attempting to lose weight, plenty of good protein and above the ground vegetables, and go easy on those sweets!

Take care and best wishes.

I’ve not had sweets for 4 months since diagnosis. Tried sugar free and stomach cramps. I hope you’re feeling better

However, I am left with the dilemma do I take the risk of having the booster jab?

I can understand your caution given the sequence of events and conclusions you have grown. There are risks either way I suppose?

I think I’m a little down the list to be offered a booster, but I had very low-level reaction to both previous doses, so I’ll be happy to have a booster as and when it’s offered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back