Covid still testing positive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Popglobe2022

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi anyone. I know I have done well, but finally got covid 9 days ago for the first time. Had a fever for several days and not at all well. Coming out the other side now and have felt well enough to be around the house but haven’t as don’t want to pass it on to others.
question….and I know lots of people gave up testing, I am still doing lateral flow tests and the line is still quite strong and it’s day 10 tomorrow. Are you still contagious even when feeling fine (if still a bit wiped out)?

don’t want to pass it on to anyone on Christmas Day. Do us Type 1’s just take longer to clear the virus (obviously we do), but is the contagious period longer because of this?
any comments are appreciated.

Hi, I had Covid in August this year. It took 13 days for a negative result for me and my husband. We didn't see anyone just in case. I know it's difficult at Christmas.

Just very frustrating. I don’t know if you are still contagious or not this long into it or whether it’s just ”residue”. I’m interested if because type 1‘s are immune suppressed, that it just takes longer for us to expel it.
someone just give me some good news or happy thoughts on a rather miserable Christmas Eve please.

It was 13 days before I tested negative but felt fine after only a few days.
Your decision but is it worth the risk to the people you might be seeing.

Leading lights…I know, just grasping at straws. Just sitting in the bedroom avoiding all Christmas shows at the moment.

Sorry you are still testing positive. I hope your symptoms are not too bad.
My non-diabetic parents had COVID this year. My Dad tested negative much quicker than my Mum. Eventually, my Mum called 111 and was advised she was non contagious after 10 days.
Do us Type 1’s just take longer to clear the viru
No.
I have had COVID twice. Both times lasted less than a week and was no worse than a cold.
One time, I managed to pass it on to my partner who does not have diabetes. It lasted much longer for him.

type 1‘s are immune suppressed,
No they are not.
Type 1 is an auto-immune disease. It automatically kills the insulin producing cells but does not affect our immune system in any other way.
This is why we are not entitled to extra drugs in case we get COVID.

When I had COVID the most annoying thing afterwards was feeling 100% back to normal but still testing positive. It was another week before I got a negative.

but the effects of the auto immune disease mean that we suffer more from flu, covid and pretty much everything else?

interesting that nhs said fine after 10 days. I wonder if that is based on science or just that’s is what they say. Would be interesting if the person who said that would then go and visit an elderly relative with cancer if they tested positive on day 11!

I suppose at the end of the day, it boils down to what people are comfortable with and who they are seeing. I have been very unwell with this, a lot worse than I thought I would be as jabbed to the hilt. Heaven knows what it would have been like without the vaccinations so I will take the small victories in life and sit tight
on Christmas Eve,
on my own,
in the bedroom,
watching re runs on tv.
oh what joy.

have a good Christmas everyone.

but the effects of the auto immune disease mean that we suffer more from flu, covid and pretty much everything else?
No it does not.
It means the affect of flu (and COVID) can make our diabetes harder to manage.
In the 20 years since my diagnosis, I have not suffered from a cold any more than before having diabetes but when I have, I have had to be more aware of my BG and needed more insulin. I have not had it more often than anyone I know without diabetes.
I have never had flu but that may be due to the annual jab
High BG may affect someone's immunity and longer healing times but that is nothing to do with the auto-immune basis for Type 1 ; it is the same for someone with Type 2. Hence, people with Type 2 are also entitled to the annual flu jab
interesting that nhs said fine after 10 days. I wonder if that is based on science or just that’s is what they say.
I thought the same as it was after the need to self isolate when testing positive (or even test) became optional. .

Personally, I would not visit my elderly parents if I tested positive even though they are pretty healthy compared with most people in their 80s even if it meant a dismal Christmas for me.
It is a personal choice

Last edited:
I agree and disagree. My initial terminology was incorrect I agree.
i have had type 1 for 40 years. I agree we are not more susceptible to catching things, but when we do get them they tend to be more severe. Even colds. I always remember my consultant saying, if you get the same cold as someone else, it will simply last longer and potentially be worse. It all depends on sugars and BG. High BG allows the virus to feed more off it and whilst messing up your diabetes.
i tend to tell people to keep clear when they have any bug (without being paranoid) simply as I know how it will affect me if I get it compared to them. This isn’t a covid thing, just common sense. Believe me, the longer you have it and the older you get, the harder it is to manage when not well.
the joys of Diabetes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back