Covid / steroids HBA1C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi the end of Jan I changed meds to invokana after having a hba1c of 60 and then the end of March I got covid and was so poorly. positive lateral for 17 days and steroids for chest. My HBA1C is now 65 my nurse doesn’t know why.. I said because of covid but I am having another test in 6 days. My blood sugars seems to be constantly high has anyone else struggled. I haven’t put on any weight to make it go up so high.

Hi the end of Jan I changed meds to invokana after having a hba1c of 60 and then the end of March I got covid and was so poorly. positive lateral for 17 days and steroids for chest. My HBA1C is now 65 my nurse doesn’t know why.. I said because of covid but I am having another test in 6 days. My blood sugars seems to be constantly high has anyone else struggled. I haven’t put on any weight to make it go up so high.
Welcome to the forum
People do find that having Covid and steroids do increase blood glucose levels but they do return to normal after the steroids are finished but of course an HbA1C because it is an average over 3 months will be still showing the period of time when you were unwell.
I would keep a careful watch on your carbohydrate intake which hopefully will help.

Hello and welcome to the forum 🙂
It sounds as if you have gone through the mill doesn't it? Hopefully you will soon be feeling better 🙂

Illness and steroids will increase your blood sugars hence why your A1c has gone up and your nurse really should know this.
Fingers crossed things will improve with the new meds and starting to feel better in yourself. Another possibility is the meds you have been changed to just don't suit you, so a different option needs to be tried. Are you watching the amount of carbohydrate you are eating as well?

Hello and welcome to the forum 🙂
It sounds as if you have gone through the mill doesn't it? Hopefully you will soon be feeling better 🙂

Illness and steroids will increase your blood sugars hence why your A1c has gone up and your nurse really should know this.
Fingers crossed things will improve with the new meds and starting to feel better in yourself. Another possibility is the meds you have been changed to just don't suit you, so a different option needs to be tried. Are you watching the amount of carbohydrate you are eating as well?
Hi Sue thank you for your reply. I have spoken to my diabetes nurse and she’s temporarily given me Glicazide to take along with my usual meds. I had a banging headache, my voice slurred and could of drank gallons this morning. So I am hoping this helps she’s also given me a monitor too.

Do you know how many gms of carbs we are meant to have in a day? And what that would look like. I don’t eat as much bread as I used to and have yogurt at breakfast. But it would be handy to know for example how many new potatoes is acceptable with a meal.

If someone is following a low carb approach then less than 130g per day is suggested but as you have a monitor then you can make use of it and test what you can tolerate for your meals. Everybody is different some people would be able to cope with 3 new potatoes but others none at all. The idea is to test before you eat and after 2 hours and aim for no more than 2-3mmol/l increase and no more than 8.5mmol/l.
The reason you have been given a monitor is that the gliclazide has the potential to cause low blood glucose levels so people should be careful of going too low on carbs too quickly.
This link may give you some ideas for modifying your diet. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/

Do you know how many gms of carbs we are meant to have in a day? And what that would look like. I don’t eat as much bread as I used to and have yogurt at breakfast. But it would be handy to know for example how many new potatoes is acceptable with a meal.
Hiya,
everyone's carb tolerance is different so it's a case of using your meter to see what happens (keep a diary) There's a good saying eat to you meter which I think works very well for a lot of people 🙂
I'm very pleased you have been given some more meds and a meter to help you.

If someone is following a low carb approach then less than 130g per day is suggested but as you have a monitor then you can make use of it and test what you can tolerate for your meals. Everybody is different some people would be able to cope with 3 new potatoes but others none at all. The idea is to test before you eat and after 2 hours and aim for no more than 2-3mmol/l increase and no more than 8.5mmol/l.
The reason you have been given a monitor is that the gliclazide has the potential to cause low blood glucose levels so people should be careful of going too low on carbs too quickly.
This link may give you some ideas for modifying your diet. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
This is so helpful thank you

Hiya,
everyone's carb tolerance is different so it's a case of using your meter to see what happens (keep a diary) There's a good saying eat to you meter which I think works very well for a lot of people 🙂
I'm very pleased you have been given some more meds and a meter to help you.
Brilliant quote eat to your monitor. Wish my fingers could cope…

Brilliant quote eat to your monitor. Wish my fingers could cope…
With the right technique most fingers can cope.
Most of us with Type 1 diabetes test at least 4 times a day plus extra every time we drive, exercise, feel "weird" and maybe more. Until I funded a CGM, I was finger prick testing an average

The important things to remember are
- make sure your hands are warm
- adjust the depth of the lancet to the minimum required
- do not prick the middle of your finger pad; prick the edge of the pad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back