Covid Injection For T1 Children

Status
Not open for further replies.

dadandlad2023

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi All

My son is 10 years old and has had T1 for just over 12-months. I am just looking for a general view from people if they have had their children who have T1 the covid jab? Am torn about what to do at the moment, if it will cause any side effects to his T1 etc? Advice would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

Appreciate this...but I am looking for peoples thoughts of having the vaccine for their children with T1 and if they have did it effect the blood sugar levels?!
I don't think anyone's mentioned it (though I don't read every message, and don't read the Parents section at all).

For us adults, people had a range of responses to the vaccines. Most no reaction at all, but there's a few of us who found it lowered BG (some dramatically) and some who found it raised it. (In both cases I think only for a few days to a week.) So it would be wise to expect some fairly short term changes.

Am torn about what to do at the moment, if it will cause any side effects to his T1 etc?
If the question is whether they should have the vaccine at all, I suggest they should. I'm not aware of any good reason for not having it. Do watch out for a few days because (based on reports on adults) it may cause lower BG (or higher), but that doesn't seem to me to be a good reason for not taking the vaccine.

If the question is whether they should have the vaccine at all, I suggest they should. I'm not aware of any good reason for not having it. Do watch out for a few days because (based on reports on adults) it may cause lower BG (or higher), but that doesn't seem to me to be a good reason for not taking the vaccine.
Thank you. I was just gauging outcome to see if any kids have had it and it has adversely affected their BG. Really appreciate you opinion Bruce.

Like @Bruce Stephens I am not a kid.
However, I agree with his sentiment in terms of whether the jab will adversely affect their BG - yes, possibly but not by as much as if they caught a bad dose of covid.
(And I say a "bad dose" because the vaccination has not stopped me catching it twice, However, it was no worse than a bad cold and over in a couple of days.)

I agree with @Bruce Stephens and @helli Any effect on the blood sugar would be short-term and if any of my children were Type 1, I’d have them vaccinated.

Did you refuse previously? My children were offered it a while ago and they all had it (no diabetes).

I agree with @Bruce Stephens and @helli Any effect on the blood sugar would be short-term and if any of my children were Type 1, I’d have them vaccinated.

Did you refuse previously? My children were offered it a while ago and they all had it (no diabetes).
Thanks Inka. He has always had the flu jab but not covid one. Appreciate your input in helping us to make a decision, especially around BG levels.

My 13 year old has had his covid jabs whenever they’ve been offered. Aside from a sore arm he’s not had and side effects. He’ll have both his flu and covid jabs this weekend.

Make yourself aware of sick day rules as it’s good to be prepared this time of year anyway for how to cope with illness and diabetes.

especially around BG levels.
I think it's good that you asked: I was anticipating possibly an increase in BG. What surprised me was the fall (which I've not noticed after any other vaccinations), and it would have been helpful if I'd been warned that that was possible but quite likely nobody knew at the time (I had my first dose a little early so probably numbers were too small by that time).

I see it is mentioned (at least now) here: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/about_us/news/coronavirus-vaccines#side effects

(I see they also note that they don't know why some people get hypos, which is interesting. I wonder if there are any hypotheses about the cause(s). Not that it matters much: knowing that they may happen is enough practically.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back