Covid & Flu jab

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bat5

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi
Interested to hear if anyone else’s blood glucose has been erratic since having their covid and flu jab. Mine have especially at meal times and throughout the day, I’m guessing it’s the body way of working with the jabs so it’ll settle in a few days.
Thanks

My BG was definitely lower for a few days, and I’ve lost the dawn effect. Of course, it might be coincidence.

My insulin needs increased quite significantly (my basal needs almost doubled) over the 3 months following my first Covid jab, but I was only 2 years into my diabetes diagnosis so it could just have been the honeymoon period coming to an end or it could be that the vaccine triggered my immune system to kill off a few more beta cells. Things have been fairly steady since then despite several more vaccinations.
How long have you been diagnosed?

My insulin needs increased quite significantly (my basal needs almost doubled) over the 3 months following my first Covid jab, but I was only 2 years into my diabetes diagnosis so it could just have been the honeymoon period coming to an end or it could be that the vaccine triggered my immune system to kill off a few more beta cells. Things have been fairly steady since then despite several more vaccinations.
How long have you been diagnosed?
Hi
I’ll be two years in April. It’s really odd because up until this weekend everything was running real smoothly but since the jabs my insulin at meal times just isn’t touching. Granted I have lowered my basal recently which I have been managing but I’ll probably raise this again which will help. I felt my honeymoon period was at the beginning of the year when insulin demand went up and I was taking 1/10, I wasn’t able to do this before.
Got to love the life of a diabetic!

I think this is one of those "we are all different" things.
After my first covid jab, my insulin sensitivity increased and I had to reduce my basal. This was not a short term thing, more than a year later and my insulin dose is still lower than it was pre-jab.

Regarding both covid and flu jabs, this was what I had last month. I had both on the same day and jumped on a flight to Virginia the next for a week of 16 hour work days. I was tired but that was more likely to do to with work than the jabs. And my insulin resistance was unchanged.

Last edited:
I didn’t have any changes to my BG following both the Autumn Covid Booster nor the flu jab, they were about a week apart. But, as @helli says, we are all different.

Hi
I’ll be two years in April. It’s really odd because up until this weekend everything was running real smoothly but since the jabs my insulin at meal times just isn’t touching. Granted I have lowered my basal recently which I have been managing but I’ll probably raise this again which will help. I felt my honeymoon period was at the beginning of the year when insulin demand went up and I was taking 1/10, I wasn’t able to do this before.
Got to love the life of a diabetic!
I had 3 quite distinct phases with my honeymoon period where my basal needs stepped up quite noticeably and then stabilized for about 6 months and then increased again.
I started on a 1:10 ratio at diagnosis and still remain on that, maybe because I am low carb so only unse a small amount of bolus insulin anyway but my basal needs require regular tweaking for exercise etc. There were 3 times when over the period of a month or 2 my basal needs just kept increasing and then levelled out and to me it makes sense that that was due to more beta cells dying off. Whether I have any remaining beta cells which are still helping put or not it is difficult to say but things have been stable give or take a few units for a year and a half now, so my gut feeling is that it has finally come to an end.

Had both jabs together about 6 weeks ago, had no side effects & jabs had no effect on bg either, time before getting covid booster did have flu like symptoms for 24 hours after.

Fascinating to see how some folk escape side effects & some don't, also strange how one dose can cause issues but next one doesnt, our bodies are one big mystery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back