Covid and Hunger

Status
Not open for further replies.

LydiaDustbin

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
I've been on the low cal low carb Newcastle diet since 9 Jan, but using real food rather than meal replacement shakes. It's been going well, I've lost 16lbs, BG is improving rapidly and despite the low calories I've been eating plenty of protein and have not really been feeling massively hungry so it's been fine.

I've managed to avoid Covid for the last 4 years but, unfortunately, succumbed in the last few days - got my first positive test yesterday (Tues) but have been feeling grotty for about a week now. My BG has been a bit raised but nothing to worry about. Apart from the usual cold/flu-type symptoms, I've been feeling absolutely ravenously hungry for the last 2 days - I'm assuming this is because my body's fighting off the infection but wondered if anyone else had had this as well?

I've decided to increase my calories an extra 100-200 calories while I'm ill but will reduce it again once I'm over this.

It won't matter if you listen to your body's demands while you are ill, as you are "at risk of diabetes". Just follow your plan to resume your Newcastle diet when you feel better. Regard it as a treat while you are ill, like you do at Christmas.

When I had covid last year all I wanted to eat was toast and spaghetti hoops. So I did! Then back on the wagon when I started to feel normal again. Hope you feel better very soon @LydiaDustbin

Yes, go for what you need now.
You will certainly recover, and easily get back on track.

I wonder if you are short of minerals and vitamins which would be contained in the 'official' shakes as they are complete replacement meals but by doing your own version of low carb and very low calorie you are now missing out on some of those vital things.
I hope you feel better soon.

I wonder if you are short of minerals and vitamins which would be contained in the 'official' shakes as they are complete replacement meals but by doing your own version of low carb and very low calorie you are now missing out on some of those vital things.
I hope you feel better soon.
Not sure why that has gone into the blue

Yes fighting off infections takes energy so your body will be wanting calories. I would increase all the way to 1600 or so calories personally while you are unwell and think about resuming once you are feeling better

Yes fighting off infections takes energy so your body will be wanting calories. I would increase all the way to 1600 or so calories personally while you are unwell and think about resuming once you are feeling better
This is probably the most sensible thing to do although I've been very low calorie (600-800) for 2 months now so 1600 seems like an enormous amount! I ate just over 1000 cals yesterday and haven't put on anything on the scales this morning and my BG was good yesterday too (averaging 6.4 for the day) so I'll continue to do that, I think. Yesterday I included cheese in an omelette at lunch and unsalted mixed nuts as a snack so today I may also add an extra egg and some wafer thin chicken somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back