Covid and high Blood Sugars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loobyloo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have Covid and my blood sugars have climbed to levels i dont normally experience. I am type 2 and wondered if any other type 2s have seen there BG levels almost double? I am usually 5s and 6s but am experiencing 11s even 3 or 4 hours after a low carb meal.
I have tried drinking lots of water and went for a long walk which got my BG down to 6.4 but an hour later it is 10.4 again without eating or drinking anything. My waking levels are 8.7. I understand its the Covid having this effect but wondered if anyone else has seen this sort of rise?

short answer - yes

should settle down once you are well again 🙂

Our body reacts to stress such as illness by release glucose to give us energy to fight the stress.
This happens to most people but, unless they have diabetes, they will not notice because their insulin production will be able to handle it.
Those of us with no insulin production (Type 1) or are insulin resistant (type 2) will see a rise in blood sugars.

So, yes, it is not unexpected that you are experiencing higher levels whilst your body is fighting the covid virus.
I hope you feel better soon and your levels return to normal.

Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back